Mission, Values, and Vision (2006)
The University’s mission is to provide an academically rich, multicultural learning experience that prepares all its students to realize their goals, pursue meaningful lifework, and to be socially responsible contributors to their communities, locally and globally.
The University values learning in an academic environment that is inclusive and student-centered. We value engagement in the civic, cultural and economic life of the communities we serve—locally, regionally, and globally. We value critical and creative thinking, effective communication, ethical decision-making, and multi-cultural competence. We value the open exchange of ideas and viewpoints.
Cal State East Bay strives to be known for the following:
- Outstanding academic programs, recognized for their excellence
- Curricula that foster active student participation through applied learning, research, and community service
- High academic standards along with services and support that ensure each student the opportunity for success
- A learning-centered experience where teaching is lively and engaging and individual differences are appreciated
- Dedication to open-minded inquiry, especially with regard to major social and global issues
- A welcoming campus atmosphere that is responsive to the unique needs of its campus community
- An inclusive campus community where students, faculty, and staff from vastly different backgrounds collaborate—creating and sustaining a vibrant learning community
- An array of activities that promote students’ enjoyment and well-being
- Graduates who are innovative and effective problem solvers, skilled in organizing and expressing their ideas
- Engagement in and essential contributions to the civic, cultural, and economic well-being of its region and communities