Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions from students, faculty, and staff.

Questions from Students

I have a disability and would like to register with your office. Who should I talk to for information about your services?

Call, e-mail, or drop by our office to speak with an Accessibility Services staff member. You may also read about our process for registering online. Disability documentation is generally needed to schedule an intake appointment with a counselor. During the intake, your counselor will explain all support services and accommodations that may be effective for you based on your limitations and needs.

I'm not a CSUEB student yet but I'm considering applying and would like to know what your program offers. As a student with a disability, what kind of services am I eligible for?

This is a tough question to answer because accommodations are not determined until students are admitted to CSUEB, submit disability verification to our office, and complete the intake process with one of our counselors. We can confirm that all our support services and accommodations are provided in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Additionally, all of our students are eligible for disability management counseling, general support, and appropriate referrals. Looking through our website may give you some idea of what to expect from our office. Finally, if you contact one of our counselors and share the details of your disability, you may get a better idea of what kinds of accommodations you might be eligible for. However, remember that accommodations are never finalized until we've met with the student for an intake and have received professional verification of the disability. 

How can I get alternative testing accommodations for the EPT, ELM, or WST?

Register for your test well in advance of the testing date and pay all applicable fees. Next, contact Accessibility Services to schedule an appointment with your disability counselor. You and your counselor will complete a request form for alternative testing and your counselor will send this information to the University Testing Office, who will later call you to confirm your arrangements and proctor your test. This process must occur at least two weeks before your test date to give the Testing Office enough time to prepare for your alternative arrangement.

I just received a diagnosis or I'm experiencing symptoms of a disability, but don't have documentation.  Can you provide me with services?

Emergency accommodations are provided by Accessibility Services on a case-by-case basis and for a period up to 14 business days without documentation, after which time the accommodations will undergo re-evaluation.  The nature of the emergency-related disability should be observable in nature (for example, a broken ankle) in order to receive accommodations without documentation.

I think I might have a learning disability. Who do I talk to about taking an LD test?

Unfortunately, the University does not offer learning disability assessment at this time. However, students are encouraged to schedule an appointment with a counselor to discuss whether learning disability testing is an appropriate referral. Upon completion of the interview, students will be given the appropriate referral to meet their specific needs.

Do you offer learning skills classes for students with learning disabilities?

No. At this time, Accessibility Services does not offer classes for developing study skills or reading strategies for LD students. You may be able to discuss some of your concerns with your counselor though. You might also wish to contact the Student Center for Academic Achievement, CSUEB's tutoring center, as they occasionally have workshops and can provide resources to improve study skills.  

Questions from Faculty and Staff

I have a student with a disability in my class. What do I need to do?

Protect the student's confidentiality by discussing accommodations in a private setting. Request to see students' Determination of Accommodations document to verify that they are registered with our office. Review the individualized accommodations listed. If you have any questions about the accommodations or about forms the student asks you to complete, contact Accessibility Services. For more information about teaching students with disabilities, please refer to our Faculty pages.

There is a student in my class that I suspect might have a disability. What should I do?

If you think a student may have an unreported or undiagnosed disability and could benefit from our services, use your judgment in referring the student to Accessibility Services. If a student is nervous, it may be helpful to walk the student to our office. The student can meet with one of our disability counselors to discuss the possible presence of a disability, the need for extra support, accommodations, or additional referrals. Occasionally a student will end up gaining disability verification and registering with our office to receive appropriate disability services. Other times, students are referred to health, counseling, tutoring, or other services that may be more applicable to their current difficulty.

How do I handle a student in my class who is behaving strangely?

Some behavioral concerns can be attributed to certain disabilities, including psychological, learning, attention-deficit, and neurological conditions. However, federal law does not excuse inappropriate behavior, even if it is due to a disability. A student with a disability who is behaving strangely should be treated in the same manner as any other student and should be given prompt feedback with clear expectations. If the student is registered with us, feel free to contact our office to speak with the student's counselor for assistance with the situation. All CSUEB students must adhere to the Student Conduct Code. Any student violating this code should be reported to Student Judicial Affairs. The University is required to assist a student with a disability to comprehend his or her responsibilities and the consequences of violating the Student Conduct Code, so it is important to involve the disability counselor. As in any situation, if you feel that the student may pose a threat to others or self, contact the University Police Department by dialing 911 from a campus phone or 510-885-3791 from a cell phone.

I myself have a disability and need to request accommodations. Can Accessibility Services assist me?

Accessibility Services is responsible for determining and coordinating accommodations for enrolled CSUEB students who have verified disabilities. All disability-related matters regarding employees of the University should be directed to Jill Millican in Risk Management at 510-885-4227.

Note: Documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share