Our vision is to enhance and preserve the quality of the learning opportunities and life experiences of each member of our community by actively working in collaboration with all facets of the community to provide a safe and secure campus environment. We recognize that effective law enforcement and the prevention of crime is achieved by establishing a professional and trusting relationship with our community.
The mission of the California State University East Bay Police Department is to provide the University community with a safe, secure environment in which to learn, live, work and grow. We will accomplish our mission by partnering and collaborating with the community, by providing service in a professional, courteous manner, and by affording dignity and respect to all individuals.
University Police Department Personnel are committed to a service philosophy of “Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving” (COPPS). Recognizing that the Department's mission is best attained through community involvement, employees are collectively committed to nurturing collaborative partnerships with individuals, groups and departments in the responsibility of:
- Identification and resolution of safety and security concerns.
- Development of safety and security resources, and service initiatives.
- Delivery of efficient, effective and relevant public safety and security services and training.
- Professionalism - We ascribe to the tenets of trust, respect, and accountability in the performance of our responsibilities.
- Accountability - We set high standards, work with positive attitudes, assume responsibility, and are accountable for our behaviors, decisions and actions.
- Teamwork - We value a shared commitment to success through cooperation, partnership, and teamwork. We realize that only through internal cooperation can we foster external cooperation and accomplish our mission.
- Communication - We encourage employee involvement and information sharing through clear and open communication and objectivity. We desire to foster an environment for active participation in problem solving and development.
- Responsibility - We believe that each of our responsibilities is essential to the overall mission of the Department. We are proud of our agency, one another, our contributions to the community, and of the law enforcement profession. We are encouraged to contribute ideas to improve Department functions and the quality of our services.
- Learning - We believe that learning and advancing competency are essential to our vitality as individuals and as an organization, and we welcome the challenge of learning whatever is necessary to grow personally and professionally.
- Innovation - We recognize that change is constant and we must actively seek new and better ways to fulfill our mission. We encourage innovation and the contribution of ideas to improve the Department and the quality of services.
- Decision Making - We value the synergistic effects of collaboration that increases our understanding in making correct decisions. We believe in using our best judgments in our work and in making decisions based upon objective research and analysis.
- Resource Stewardship - We are committed to appropriate principles of leadership, management and supervision in exercising stewardship over the human and material resources of the Department.
- Diversity - We appreciate diversity and recognize that different viewpoints, experiences and backgrounds are central to our understanding and meeting the unique needs of the diverse community that we serve.
- Partnerships - We are a partner with the community in the effort to promote a safe and secure environment and preserve the quality of life for all.
- Collaboration - We support open communication among employees and our partners to enhance cooperation and build trust.
- Advocacy - We advocate advancing personal safety and enhancing risk management initiatives. We desire to work with our partners to educate members of the public about their crucial role in the overall safety and security of the community at large.
- Information - We are a resource center for the collection, review, and evaluation of information pertaining to the safety and security of the community and actively share this information with the community in order to promote awareness and response to emerging needs.
- Service - We believe in providing quality services in a timely and professional manner. We are service driven; partnerships oriented and strive for excellence. We endeavor to provide services in a fair, friendly and respectful manner, sincerely caring for the welfare of people.
- Integrate Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving
- Develop of the organization to a higher level of business efficiency and effectiveness.
- Improve the quality of Police Department Services.
- Develop cost recovery and alternate funding.
- Improve integration of technology into Department processes and functions.
- Increase community safety and security outreach.
- Develop student experiential learning and training partnerships.
- Recognition of the contributions and value of each employee.
- Increase the standards and competencies by which work is performed through training, guidance, coaching and discipline.
- Increase employee technical skills and knowledge through staff training and development.
- Improve employee recruitment.
- Improve employee retention.
- Develop internal employee development and mentor-ship opportunities.
- Develop internal employee recognition and awards programs.
- Implement "Community Oriented Policing" philosophy and principles.
- Strengthen and establish new partnerships in the community.
- Enrich community outreach.
- Assess how clients perceive the quality and level of our services.
- Set priorities in concert with partners.
- Increase quality services to our clients.
- Refine community education programs.
Note: Documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader.