Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate
The California State University, East Bay Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) meets the needs of those who plan to serve as English-language teachers in the U.S. and overseas. Taught by top TESOL instructors, students who enter the program will learn and apply the most effective and up-to-date second-language teaching techniques. Interested students also can obtain a master's degree in English with a focus on TESOL.
This program in Teaching English as a Second or Other Language (TESOL) enables people from any educational background to gain a sound theoretical foundation plus the hands-on classroom experience necessary to pursue English language teaching opportunities either in the United States or abroad. The program explores the relationship between language learning, teaching, and aspects of second language acquisition from the point of view of the learner. It also examines the theory and practice of planning, teaching, grammar, culture, and assessing lessons in the four skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) through experiential activities, teaching demonstrations, discussions, lesson planning, materials development and readings.
- Four-year bachelor degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum TOEFL score of 71 or IELTS 6.0
- International teachers of English as a Foreign Language who want to continue their professional development
- Recent college graduates seeking to prepare themselves to teach English while living or traveling abroad
- Professionals who are contemplating a change of career or returning to work
- Current teachers who wish to improve their capacity to meet the needs of the growing number of students studying English.
- Ability to teach English as a Second or Other Language in a variety of world English contexts
- Ability to adapt materials for special groups of learners
- Ability to apply the latest research on language acquisition in your classroom
- Familiarity with support programs for language students, including outside activities and specialized multimedia software
- Strong theoretical background knowledge, as well as proven methodologies
- Exposure to the latest research and testing methodologies
- Creation of practical lesson plans and activity samples that can be used later in your classroom
- Experience with a variety of teaching tools and materials
- Six-month, full-time program of study, including supervised observations and practice teaching
- Four hours per week of tutorials to support coursework
- Classes in state-of-the-art TESOL theory and methods taught by teacher trainers experienced in worldwide conditions
- Fully accredited postgraduate qualification
- In-depth observations and practice teaching in the University's Intensive English program and/or in a local school of student's choice
- Cal State East Bay undergraduate credit earned in English through course attendance
- Complete seven required courses in two quarters (six months)
- Maintain 2.5 overall grade-point average in each quarter
- A grade of C or better is required in all courses
Master's Degree Option
Participants can further their education and obtain a master's degree in English with a focus on TESOL. Some TESOL Certificate units are transferable by arrangement with the Cal State East Bay English Department.
See the TESOL course descriptions for more information on courses.
- Approaches, Designs and Procedures in Teaching ESL I
ENGL 7700 (4 units)
- Approaches, Designs and Procedures in Teaching ESL II
ENGL 7702 (4 units)
- Pedagogical Grammar/Outcomes Assessment
ENGL 7701 (4 units)
- ESL Practicum, Supervised Teaching
ENGL 7703 (5 units)
- Supplementary Practicum in American Language Program (Non-Credit, Required for 2 quarters)
- Undergraduate English Elective (4 units)
TESOL Certificate Program
$100 one-time application fee & each time deferring or changing program
ALP Tuition & Course Fees/Quarter
Varies each quarter: Approx. $2,500-$3,000
For further information please contact Miguel Silva, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.