Arrival Checklist for J-1 Scholars

Welcome to California State University, East Bay! This checklist is to assist you with settling into Cal State East Bay and the Bay Area.

  • Report your arrival to CIE within ONE week of your arrival (but no later than 3 weeks after the start date on your DS-2019) and bring with you 1) passport, 2) DS-2019, and 3) I-94. The Center for International Education is required to report your arrival no later than 30 days from the start date indicated on your DS-2019. If you arrive close to 30 days after the start date on your DS-2019, report your arrival to us immediately ( or (510) 885-4221).
  • Fill out a New International Student Information Sheet with your local contact information.
  • Purchase Medical Insurance and/or Show Proof of Purchase to CIE within the First Week of Your Arrival. J-1 Exchange Visitors and J-2 dependents must show proof of health insurance coverage within one week of arrival into the United States. For more information on the U.S. Department of State Health Insurance Requirements, see the J-1 Scholar Handbook (PDF, 649k, link opens in new window).
  • Obtain your Cal State East Bay ID. To obtain a university identification card, go to the CSUEB Library. You will need to bring your Identification Number and a photo ID (passport is fine). The Identification Number can be obtained from the Exchange Programs Advisor at the Center for International Education.
  • Apply for your Social Security Number. Only J Scholars with the intention to work may obtain a Social Security Card. Any employment must be authorized by the Center for International Education. In order to apply, J Scholars must take a valid passport, 1-94, and DS-2019 to the Social Security Office. The process takes approximately 2-4 weeks.
  • Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Even if you do not wish to obtain a driver's license, it is recommended that you apply for a California Identification Card at the DMV to have photo identification without having to carry your passport with you.
  • Obtain a Haywire Computer Account by requesting one at the STSC or online (link opens in new window).
  • Meet with your faculty sponsor of staff contact person in your host department, if you have not done so already.
  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share