Procedures for Visiting J-1 Scholars

Requests for hosting a visiting research scholar or professor must be approved by department chair, dean of college, and the Provost's Office before the Center for International Education (CIE) can issue a Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019 form). The DS-2019 document is used by the visiting scholar or professor to apply for a J-1 visa to enter the United States as a professor or research scholar, and to be eligible to receive a salary if one is included in the appointment.

Under the J-1 Exchange Visitor status, research scholars and professors may come to the United States for temporary periods for the purpose of educational exchange. A professor is defined as an individual who is primarily engaged in teaching or lecturing, while a research scholar's primary focus is research.

A professor or research scholar has a maximum period of three (3) years to engage in research and/or teaching. The authorization is issued on a per-year basis, to ensure that the health insurance requirement is maintained. This category requires the minimum of a bachelor's degree and extensive experience in the field of study. J Scholars may not hold or be candidates for tenure. Furthermore, J Scholars may be subject to the "2 year home residency requirement" if funding is from government sources or if the J Scholar's field of study is on the "Exchange Visitor's Skills List." If the J Scholar is subject to this requirement, s/he must return to the country of legal residence for two years immediately following completion of the J-1 program.

If a visitor has been in the U.S. for 6 months or more in any J status during the immediately preceding 12 months, s/he may not eligible to become a research scholar or professor unless the scholar was categorized as a short-term scholar.

Verification of financial support is required. Funding may be from the university, the exchange visitor's government, personal funds or a combination of all of the above.

The visitor is also required to show proof of health insurance that meets the required levels of health, medical evacuation and repatriation for himself/herself and dependents. Failure to obtain or sustain health insurance coverage will result in loss of legal non-immigrant status. Appropriate health insurance can be purchased through CSUEB upon arrival to the U.S.


  • The following items must be submitted by the hosting College to the Provost (Contact: Gina Traversa).
    • Appointment letter from Dean of hosting College.
    • Copy of passport I.D. page.
    • Copy of Curriculum Vitae.
    • Documentation of amount and source of funding for duration of stay. Authorization requires funding of at least $1000 per month; $500 for each spouse/ $250 for each dependent. If source of funding is:
      • a grant or other outside funding source, please provide appropriate documentation from the funding organization.
      • a foreign University, please provide an official letter (on University letterhead) stating the amount and duration of funding provided.
      • CSUEB, please provide an official letter from the department responsible for payment and the amount and duration. iv. personal funds, please provide a bank statement.
      • Signed J Scholar Health Insurance Agreement (link opens in new window)
  • Upon approval the Provost's Office will submit the above documents with a completed J Scholar Initial Request Form to CIE (Contact: Wagaye Johannes/Kelly Moran).
  • CIE will review the Scholar's documents to ensure appropriate eligibility for J status. If eligible, CIE will send the following to the Provost (Please allow one week for processing):
    • DS-2019 (Certificate for Eligibility) for J-1 status
    • J-Scholar Handbook
  • The following materials are mailed from the Provost's office to the visiting scholar or professor.
    • Letter of Invitation from Cal State East Bay
    • DS-2019
    • J Scholar Handbook
  • It may take the Exchange Visitor anywhere from 3-5 weeks to receive and apply for the visa at the American Embassy or Consulate in his/her home country.
  • The Exchange Visitor must report within one week of arrival in the U.S. to the CIE with immigration documents and proof of health insurance. (Contact: Kelly Moran/Wagaye Johannes)
  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share