For students starting at CSUEB Fall 2017, you may be wondering how the quarter to semester conversion, planned for Fall 2018, will impact you.  The university and department are committed to maintaining the quality of our academic programs while having students graduate in the usual time frame during this transition.  More information about the university's Pledge to Students is available HERE.  A detailed FAQ page for students about the conversion is available HERE

*    *    *    *    *

For the Graduate Program, see below.  For the Undergraduate Program, go HERE

Graduate Program 

Which term do you accept applications?

We are on the quarter system, and only accept for the Fall quarter.

Back to top

When is your application due?

You will need to apply to both the university and the department.
The university application due dates are available from http://www.csueastbay.edu/prospective/how-to-apply/application-and-document-deadlines/index.html
The university application is at www.csumentor.edu

The department accepts applications postmarked from January 1 through February 1.
The department application is posted sometime in the late summer but definitely by October 1st, which is when the university application period usual opens.

Back to top

How much does it cost to attend CSUEB?

Tuition fee information is at http://www.csueastbay.edu/prospective/cost-and-financial-aid/index.html

Back to top

Do you require the GRE or other test as part of the application process?

No, the GRE or other test is not required.

Back to top

Does your program require a criminal records check?

A clear criminal records check is required in order to work, volunteer, or participate in clinical practicum coursework for the program. It is not an application requirement.

Back to top

My degree is not in communication disorders; can I still apply to your graduate program?

Yes. You would apply to our graduate program in “conditionally classified” status. This means that though you are admitted to our graduate program, you first must complete the undergraduate degree equivalency, or prerequisite courses, before moving on to the actual graduate program.

Back to top

My background is in communication disorders; how many units must I have completed to be considered for admission?

For our Fall term admission, an applicant must have completed at least 24 semester or 36 quarter units of graded communication disorders coursework by the end of the previous calendar year. For example, for Fall 2016 admission consideration, an applicant must have completed those units by the end of December 2015.

Back to top

How many people apply to your program?

For those with a degree in communication disorders, we usually have 250-300 apply. For those without, between 80 to 100.

Back to top

How many people do you accept to your program?

For those with a degree in communication disorders, we generally accept between 15 and 20 applicants. For those without, between 20 and 25.

Back to top

What are the minimum GPA requirements to be admitted?

The university's minimum overall GPA requirement is 2.5.  The department has no minimum GPA requirement, though applications with a GPA of under 3.0 overall or in communication disorders coursework may potentially not be reviewed. 

Back to top

How long is your graduate program?

With a degree in communication disorders, about 2 years, which may include one or two summer quarters. Without a degree in communication disorders, it will take you 3 1/2 to 4 years to complete the program.  There is no model available to complete our program in less time for either type of admission.

Back to top

If I am admitted to the "extended" graduate program with a degree in another field, am I still eligible for financial aid?

Yes. However, even though you are an admitted graduate student paying graduate level tuition, you will not be eligible for graduate-level financial aid during the time you are taking only undergraduate prerequisite courses. While taking these courses, you are only eligible for the maximum undergraduate loan amount allowed. Once you begin to take graduate courses, which start in the second year of the course sequence, you will become eligible for graduate-level financial aid. More information on this is found here

Back to top

Can I complete the program on a part-time basis?

Our graduate program, including the prerequisite courses, is not designed for part-time enrollment.  Nearly all courses are offered once per year, and if a student attending part-time skips an offered class, s/he could be forced to wait one year before progressing due to prerequisite requirements. All units required for the degree must be earned within the five calendar years immediately preceding the receipt of your degree.

Back to top

When are your courses offered?

The prerequisite courses are generally offered during the week Monday through Thursday, though not every day. Usually they are on a once-a-week, or twice-a-week schedule. Sometimes courses are offered on Fridays, or in a hybrid format (partially on-line). Graduate courses are usually offered in the evening and occasionally on a Friday to allow students’ daytime placement in their clinical experiences, in which therapy is provided to clients under licensed supervision.

Back to top

Where are your courses offered?

The department courses are only offered on the Hayward campus. For those who need to complete the prerequisite courses, some requirements offered outside of our department may be offered at the Concord campus.

Back to top

Do you have a distance learning, or on-line, program?

Not at this time.

Back to top

If my degree is in another field but I have taken some of the non-SPPA (non-communicative disorders) prerequisite courses before, will I have to take them again?

The non-SPPA prerequisites include the following content to meet ASHA standards as well as department course prerequisite requirements: physical sciences (our program requires content in physics or chemistry, with a lab component not required), anatomy (lab component required), statistics, general psychology, and human or cognitive development.  For coursework already completed, it must have been taken within seven years of the term you are applying for, except for physical sciences and general psychology. Any missing courses can be re/taken after you are admitted to our graduate program.

Back to top

How can I be sure those classes will transfer in?

If you took them at a California college or university, you can use www.assist.org to research courses that would transfer in to CSUEB.

Back to top

I can’t tell for sure which classes I have taken that will transfer in. Can you meet with me to go over transcripts?

No, unfortunately we do not have staffing to do any type of transfer/transcript evaluations for students not admitted to our program. You can use the prerequisite or undergraduate course lists posted at our website, the CSUEB university catalog course descriptions, and the catalog course descriptions from the university you attended to self-advise.

Back to top

Can I start taking the prerequisite classes now to prepare to apply for the next cycle?

You are welcome to take the lower division non-SPPA courses at a junior college. The lower division courses on our prerequisite list start with a 1xxx or a 2xxx. You can use www.assist.org to select the right courses to take. Note that if Human Anatomy and Physiology is offered as two separate courses elsewhere, you only need to take the Anatomy course.

Back to top

I would like to start the prerequisite classes at CSUEB though I’m not admitted to the graduate program. Will the department let me?

No, because CSUEB is not admitting students who would not be pursuing a specific degree objective after admission, which status is called "unclassified post-baccalaureate".  If this policy were to change, more information would be accessible through the CSUEB Graduate Admission webpage: http://www.csueastbay.edu/prospective/how-to-apply/graduate-student-admission/index.html  

Back to top

Can I take classes through Open University as a non-admitted student?

The only course allowed to be taken through Open University is SPPA 2850, Introduction to Communication Disorders.  This course is typically offered in the Fall.  For more information about how Open University works, go here.

Back to top

Can I visit your department and meet with someone individually?

The department only has staffing to schedule group visits, and does not schedule individual appointments.  We schedule 10:00 a.m. Friday facilities tours, usually from August to January, on an intermittent basis. We also schedule Open Houses about our graduate program, usually from October to January, on an intermittent basis. Go to "Department Visits" at the left navigation pane for more information. 

Back to top

Can I sit in on any classes?

No, we do not allow non-admitted students to observe classes.

Can I volunteer for your clinic?

No, we currently do not allow those not admitted to CSUEB to volunteer for our clinic.  We recommend that you use the ASHA website to contact speech pathologists in your area; the direct link is http://www.asha.org/findpro/  You might also call your local school districts' speech pathologists or special education departments to inquire into volunteering opportunities.

Back to top

Undergraduate Program for Transfer Students

Are you accepting speech pathology majors?

Yes.  The speech pathology major is not an Impacted Program at CSUEB.  

Can I transfer in any quarter?

No. Our major course sequence starts in the Fall, and the only quarters allowed for transfer are Spring or Fall. 

What should I take at my JC to plan ahead?

For the major, the usual lower division courses that are completed by the time you start at CSUEB are General Biology with Lab, Human Anatomy and Physiology, General Statistics, and General Psychology.  Please use the www.assist.org website to select transferable coursework. If you plan to go to grad school in speech pathology, you might also consider taking a course with content in either Physics or Chemistry for future ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC's) requirements.  Be sure to check with your JC's counselors to verify you are completing the required number of units and content to successfully transfer in to a four-year CSU.  You can also call Preadmission Advising at CSUEB, at 510/885-2556. 

What if I didn't take all the lower division courses I was supposed to at my JC for the major?

You should be able to still start the major, but you will need to play close attention to your roadmap to be sure you complete required lower division coursework in time to stay in sequence. The most important content is Human Anatomy and Physiology, because that content is a prerequisite for your second quarter of major classes here at CSUEB. 

Is there anything else I should be doing before I start the major classes?

If you plan to apply to grad school, take advantage of all the tools available to you to achieve a strong overall GPA.  Additionally, you can look for volunteer opportunities with either a speech pathologist, special education program, literacy program, or senior center. 

Undergraduate Program for Native Students

What classes should I be taking in my freshman and sophomore years? 

  • As a Freshman, you will be in a Learning Cluster.  Please contact the GE office for guidance on picking a cluster that will work well for a speech pathology major.
  • As a Sophomore, you will continue to complete lower division GE requirements, but you can also opt to take SPPA 2850, our introduction course to the major; it's an opportunity to confirm our major is the one for you!  You can refer to the department's posted roadmaps to verify you will have finished all your required lower division coursework by the time you start your major classes your Junior Year.  This includes content in biology (with lab), anatomy (with lab), psychology, and statistics.  If you plan to go to grad school in speech pathology, you might also consider taking a course with content in either Physics or Chemistry for future ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC's) requirements.  This can be used to fulfill your B1 Physical Science GE requirement

Is there anything else I should be doing before I start the major classes?

If you plan to apply to grad school, take advantage of all the tools available to you to achieve a strong overall GPA.  Additionally, you can look for volunteer opportunities with either a speech pathologist, special education program, literacy program, or senior center. 

If you have further questions, feel free to email csd@csueastbay.edu or call 510.885.3233.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share