Graduate Study

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the Graduate Record Examination required for admission to the graduate program?

The GRE is not required for admission.

What is the deadline for submitting applications?

We accept applications for admission in the Fall Quarter on a rolling basis throughout the year, but preference will be given to those received by March 4, 2016. All application materials must be submitted no later than April 1, 2016.

Are there entrance examinations and what are the Graduate Advisory Examinations?

There are no examinations required at the time of applying for the program. Students who are admitted to the program will take Graduate Advisory Examinations just prior to the start of classes. These exams will assess each student's basic knowledge of music theory and history.

What if I'm coming from a country where English is not the primary language?

If you are a graduate student and your preparatory education was principally in a language other than English, you must demonstrate proficiency in English with one of the following:

  • An official transcript showing graduation with a bachelor's degree from a U.S. college or university, or an international college or university where English is the principal language of instruction, or an official letter from the college or university certifying that English was the language of instruction.
  • A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 (213 computer-based or 79 Internet-based) or above.
  • An overall test score from IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam of 6.5 or above for graduate students.

Students who come from foreign universities, conservatories, and institutions must understand that the master's degree at CSUEB requires the ability to write extended term papers in English and participate fluently in class discussions.

What if my transcripts are from an international university?

All foreign degrees are first evaluated by the International Admission Office. Please see International Student Admission for the proper way to submit international school work and degrees.

What is the typical time-to-degree?

Full-time students generally take six quarters (two years). Graduate students have up to five years to complete their degree. A minimum of 32 units must be completed in residency.

Can I transfer graduate units from other institutions?

Yes. You may transfer up to 13 units of the 45 required for the Master's degree, pending the approval of the graduate coordinator, your main advisor, and the University. Transfer units must also have been completed within five years of your application for graduation.

Do I have to be in residency at Cal State East Bay the entire time?

Graduate students are required to complete 32 units in residence. You may take two quarters off, but then you must register for courses in third quarter or risk losing your status.

Do I need to be enrolled in order to graduate?

No. So long as you have completed your required coursework, you do not need to be enrolled in order to graduate.

Can I complete a California teaching credential and a master's degree at the same time?

It is not possible to get a credential and an MA at the same time.

Can I take music lessons even though I am not a performance emphasis?

Yes. Students with an emphasis other than performance may take lessons, but approval must first be attained from the Graduate Coordinator and the Department Chair.

Am I allowed to count ensemble performance towards my graduate degree requirements?

All graduate students are encouraged to participate in the musical life of our department, including joining departmental ensembles and giving recitals. Those receiving a performance scholarship will be required to perform in one of the ensembles. Unfortunately, however, ensemble units cannot be counted toward your graduate requirements.

Do you see yourself in music?

We'd love to hear from you. Express your interest in music study at CSUEB.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share