About Concord

Frequently Asked Questions



Q. How do I apply?

A. You may complete and submit your application online. Electronic versions of graduate and undergraduate applications are available at www.csumentor.edu.

Q. When can I apply?

A. Application deadlines are listed on the CSUEB admissions website. http://www.csueastbay.edu/prospective/how-to-apply/application-and-document-deadlines/

Q. How do I find out my admissions status?

A. After you have applied, you may check your status online at https://my.csueastbay.edu. Once eligibility is established you will receive a letter of admission for the term indicated on your application.

Q. What is Open University?

A. Open University is a program that allows individuals to take regular classes on a space-available basis without going through the formal admissions process. Open University forms and instructions for completion are available in the Academic Services Lobby at Concord Campus. Payment is due at the time the form is submitted. Open University forms are due by the last day of the add/drop period.

Transfer Requirements 

Q. What are the basic transfer admission requirements?

A. To be admitted as an upper division transfer student, you must meet the following requirements: 1) complete a minimum of 60 semester (or 90 quarter) units with 30 semester (or 45 quarter) units of general education courses, 2) complete the required transferable oral communication, critical thinking, English and math course with grades of C or better and 3) have a GPA of 2.00 in all transferable college coursework (nonresident GPA must be a 2.40 or higher).

Q. How many community college units will CSUEB apply to my Bachelor's Degree?

A. A maximum of 70 semester (105 quarter) units of credit will apply. If a student transfers units over this amount, they will be used to determine GPA and may be used to satisfy subject requirements. Excess units may not be applied towards the total units required for the Bachelor's Degree.

Q. How do I find out my lower division major requirements?

A. There are several resources available to assist you in finding out your major requirements. You can obtain information from your community college counselor, a Concord Campus Academic Advisor or access major requirements via the web at www.assist.org.

Freshman Requirements 

Q. When do we register for classes?

A. As a freshman at the Concord Campus you will not need to register for your classes during the Fall quarter. Students will be assigned classes their first year. The Pre-Nursing and Health Science program also guarantees courses for the first two years, meaning that classes specifically for the Pre-Nursing and Health Science program are blocked from people outside of the program.

Q. What is a cohort?

A. A cohort is a group of students who will be taking the same classes together at the same time. The cohorts allow for students to form closer relationships with their peers encouraging study groups.

Q. Am I guaranteed a spot in the Nursing program if I complete my pre-requisites at CSU East Bay?

A. The Cal State East Bay Nursing program is impacted. This means we have an abundance of applications for a limited number of slots in the competitive program. Because the program is impacted we cannot offer guaranteed admission to the CSU East Bay Nursing program. Student that complete their pre-requisites at Cal State East Bay do have the opportunity to be mentored and work alongside nursing program students. Students who complete their pre-requisites at Cal State East Bay will receive 10 additional points towards their Nursing application.

Course Offerings 

Q. What degrees are offered at the Concord Campus?

A. The Concord Campus offers upper division courses in the following areas: Bachelor's Degrees: Business Administration, Criminal Justice Administration, English*, History*, Human Development*, Liberal Studies, Liberal Studies with a Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential (BPEP), Nursing (BSN and RN to BSN), Psychology, Health Science*, and Sociology; Educational Credentials: Multiple Subject, Single Subject and Adult Education.

*May require students to take some classes online or at the Hayward Campus.

Q. Does the Concord Campus offer certificate programs?

A. Yes. The Concord Campus offers the following Certificate Programs: Paralegal Studies and Pre-Professional Health Academic Program (PHAP). For further information about these programs, contact the Office of Extended and Continuing Education at 510-885-3605.

Q. Does the Concord Campus offer lower division courses?

A. The Concord Campus offers lower division courses for Degrees in Health Sciences and Pre-Nursing. Students transfer from Diablo Valley College, Los Medanos College, Solano College, and other local community colleges.

Q. Are courses offered on the quarter system or semester system?

A. CSUEB courses are offered on the quarter system. Each quarter (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer) is 11 weeks in length: 10 weeks of instruction and 1 week of final exams.

Q. Does CSUEB grant credit for practical or life experience?

A. No. Unit credit is not granted for practical or life experience.

Q. May I receive credit for military training?

A. Cal State East Bay does offer veterans benefits. For more information please go to http://www.csueastbay.edu/students/student-services/veterans-benefits.html or call (510) 885-3669.

Q. Does CSUEB grant credit for Advanced Placement (AP scores) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) scores?

A. Yes. AP credit is granted if you successfully passed an AP course and scored 3 or better on the AP exam. Students should contact the College Board and request their test scores be sent to the Planning Enrollment Management and Student (PEMSA) Office at CSUEB. Students are granted 4-12 quarter units of credit for each test in the following disciplines: biology, chemistry, computer science, environmental studies, geography, math, physics, psychology, statistics, economics, art, English, history, foreign language, music and political science. Students are granted 4 units of credit for passing scores on the following CLEP tests: college algebra-trigonometry, calculus w/elementary functions, English composition with essay, introductory business law, principles of management, and general chemistry.

Q. How do I challenge a course?

A. Students challenge courses by taking an examination developed at the campus. Students must first enroll in the class and get approval from the faculty and department chair. The exam must be completed before the end of the Add/Drop period. Credit is awarded to those who pass the exam successfully (C- grade or better). For students who pass the exam, the letter grade and credit by exam will be indicated on their permanent record. Exams are typically 3 to 6 hours in length and may be oral as well as written. Courses may be challenged only once. For further information, contact the department office of the course you wish to challenge. http://www.csueastbay.edu/students/student-services/student-records/grades-and-credit.html

Student Services 

Q. Does the Concord Campus offer Student Health Services?

A. Yes. The Concord Campus has a Nurse Practitioner available on campus Mondays and Thursdays from 3:00pm to 6:00pm. Services included are check-ups, vaccinations, women’s health, men’s health and much more. You can receive more information by going to http://www.csueastbay.edu/students/campus-life/shcs/index.html.

Q. Does the Concord Campus offer Counseling Services?

A. Yes. The Concord Campus has a Counselor available on campus Mondays from 10:00am to 6:00pm. Services included are individual counseling and couples counseling. You can receive more information by going to http://www.csueastbay.edu/students/campus-life/shcs/index.html.

Q. Does the Concord Campus offer Accessibility Services?

A. Yes. The Concord Campus has an Accessibility Coordinator available to the students. Services include classroom accommodations, testing accommodations and other support services. You can receive more information by going to http://www.csueastbay.edu/students/campus-life/shcs/index.html.

Q. What other Student Services does the Concord Campus offer?

A. The Concord Campus offers a variety of Student Services. You can find more information about these services by going to our Student Services website. http://www.csueastbay.edu/concord/student-services/index.html

Financial Aid 

Q. Does the Concord Campus offer a Financial Aid adviser?

A. Yes. The Concord Campus does have a Financial Aid adviser available on campus the second (2nd) Tuesday of every month. These are drop in advising appointments only, meaning first come, first served. There will be a sign in sheet available in the Academic Services Lobby starting at 2:30pm and the first appointment will be at 3:00pm. If you need to contact a Financial Aid adviser you can call (510) 885-2784.

Q. How do I apply for financial aid?

A. Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov from January 1-March 2 (priority deadline) of the year you wish to enroll. Be sure to indicate Cal State East Bay as an institution allowed to access your FAFSA. The Office of Financial Aid will then be able to provide you with an estimate of your Financial Aid award. Also, ask your school to submit a Grade Point Average form to the California Student Aid Commission during the January 1-March 2 Cal Grant application period. For more information go to www.calgrants.org.

Q. When is the deadline to apply for aid?

A. The priority filing period for the FAFSA is January 1-March 2 of the academic year you plan to enroll. FAFSAs are accepted after March 2; however, to receive the maximum amount of aid possible, submit your FAFSA between January 1 and March 2.

Q. How will I receive my financial aid?

A. Each quarter, we begin disbursing financial aid on a specific date. After this date, Student Financial Services (Accounting) conducts three disbursements each week. Before your aid is disbursed, you must submit all requested documents, accept your aid (via MyCSUEB) and enroll in the required number of units. You must also allow time for the Financial Aid Office to review your verification documents and make any necessary corrections to your FAFSA data and your award.

If you have more questions about financial aid you may go to http://www.csueastbay.edu/prospective/cost-and-financial-aid/frequently-asked-questions/index.html or call (510) 885-2784.

Special Programs 

Q. What is PACE?

A. PACE (Program for Accelerated College Education) is a non-traditional education program that provides working adults an opportunity to earn a Human Development, Liberal Studies, or Recreation bachelor's degree in a reasonable period of time. PACE students complete 12 to 13 units per quarter by attending classes one or two evenings per week and on Saturdays. Recreation students may also complete some requirements online. For further PACE information contact Academic Services at the Concord Campus at 925-602-6700.

Q. What is the Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) Program?

A. The TAG Program is no longer offered at Cal State East Bay.

Q. What is the Senior Fee Waiver Program?

A. The Senior Fee Waiver Program allows California residents, 60 years of age or older, who have applied for regular admissions and met eligibility requirements prior to the start of classes, to have their application fee and State University fee waived. Program participants must register for classes on a space available basis during Late Registration. For further information about this program contact Enrollment Services at 510-885-2784.

Q. What is the Cross Registration Program?

A. Cross Registration is a program that provides community colleges students the opportunity to take courses at CSUEB without paying CSUEB university fees. To be eligible, students must have completed a minimum of 20 semester and no more than 70 transferable semester units at their home (community college) campus with a GPA of 2.0 or better, and be enrolled in sufficient units to maintain full-time status (at least 6 semester units at home campus). Cross registration forms are available at the community college, online, and at the Concord Campus.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share