In addition to being the Chair of CSUEB’s Department of Theatre and Dance, Professor Hird is a resident designer for the University. He has served on the regional boards of the California Educational Theatre Association and the Northern California Section of the United States Institute for Theatre Technology. He has been recognized for educational and artistic excellence by the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival and the California Educational Theatre Association. He made peer reviewed presentations on educational techniques in 2011 and 2012 to the Education Commission of the United States Institute for Theatre Technology. Since 1991 he has produced over a dozen shows featuring CSUEB students and alumni in five countries, including the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
In the last few years Professor Hird has focused on administration, producing, and teaching theory. He developed the department's journal prompt for production projects and writing methods for teaching students to express themselves about issues and themes in the plays they have attended. So far he has produced all the department's international tours, including over a dozen productions on the Fringe in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Master of Fine Arts, UCLA.
|Course #||Sec||Course Title||Days||From||To||Location||Campus||Textbook Info|
|THEA 4900||01||Independent Study||ARR||ARR||Hayward Campus||View Books|
- Peer Reviewed Presenter, National Conference United State Institute for Theatre Technology, Education Commission. “A Simple Journal Prompt for Production Projects” March, 2012.
- Peer Reviewed Presenter, National Conference United State Institute for Theatre Technology, Education Commission. “How a Focus on Production Can Improve Writing” March, 2011.
- Lead author: STAGE DIRECTIONS, “A Festival for Success,” Nov. 2007.
- Panelist, TAKING YOUR SHOW ON THE ROAD, California Educational Theatre Association, Oct. 2006.
- Lead author: PLSN (Production, Lighting, Sound News), “Magic on the Fringe,” Oct. 2006.
- EDINBURGH: INTERNATIONAL ARTS FESTIVAL IN SCOTLAND - THEATRE, MUSIC, OPERA, DANCE, FILM AND LITERATURE, Fall 2002, Commonwealth Club of California.
- CALIFORNIA EDUCATIONAL THEATRE NEWS, “Playing Moral Decay in High School,” Spring 2001.
- ROCK N' ROLL = NEW SOUND TECHNOLOGY FOR THEATRE (Moderator and Panelist) 1989 USITT National Conference and Stage Expo, Calgary, Canada.
- HOW SAFE IS SAFE ENOUGH (Invited Panelist) 1990 Conference of Association for Theatre in Higher Education.
- STAGE HYDRAULICS AND PNEUMATICS. 1981 Annual Conference of US Institute for Theatre Technology, Cleveland, OH. Delivered one lecture, moderated one panel, and organized industry mini trade show.
- ONE USE FOR CONCRETE SCENERY? Speech and Drama Colloquium, 1981. (based on an unpublished article which was in turn based on a CSUH set design accepted in the juried section of the USITT Second Biennial Scenographic Exposition).
- Theatre Bay Area - Individual Services Board (2003- continuing).
- U. S. Institute for Theatre Technology - Northern California Section Chair (1996- 2010).
- Northern California Educational Theatre Association - University and At-large Director (1997- 2004).
- California Educational Theatre Association - Awards Chair (2002- 2004).
- Producer of international performance tours to Scotland (1991, 1994, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010), Cyprus (1998) and Slovakia (Project Istropolitana 2000).
- Technical Manager - Rocket Venues, Edinburgh Festival Fringe, 2001 (St. John’s Hall).
- Conference Chair, Theatre Shop Safety Conference, Spring, 1997 at CSUH by Northern California Section of U.S. Institute for Theatre Technology and Bay Area Costumers’ Alliance.
- Chair of three N. Cal. Educational Theatre Assn. Fall Mini Conferences, 1995-1998.
- Local Producer 1994 & 2002 Region VIII Kennedy Center Am. College Thea. Festival at CSUH.
- Lighting Designer and Creative/Technical Consultant 1988-1997 for the annual SINGING CHRISTMAS TREE - A CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR, presented at the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts by Bethel Church of San Jose.
- Stage, Sets and Lights Designer and Consultant for high schools and churches, including: Moreau and Campolindo High Schools, Hope Center Covenant Church, Peninsula Covenant Church, and Bethel Church of San Jose.
- Theatre Leadership Award, California Educational Theatre Association, 2003, for contributions to and hosting four regional festivals of KCACTF.
- Recognized as Outstanding Theatre Educator by Region VIII of the Kennedy Center/ American College Theatre Festival, 1998.
- Recognized for merit in design and/or technical areas by Region VIII of the Kennedy Center/ American College Theatre Festival, including recognition in 1998 by the National Adjudication Team for lighting of MACBETH.