Top NavTop NavTop Nav



Try the online directory, which has email addresses and phone numbers for individuals (the Hayward campus telephone operator is 510-885-3000 and the Concord campus operator is 925-602-6700) or, if you don't know the name of the person, try the Campus Contacts page.

The salary provided by a difference-in-pay leave for a teaching faculty employee is the difference between the employee's salary and the minimum salary of the Lecturer A rank. The salary for a difference-in?pay leave for a library faculty employee is the difference between the employee's salary and the minimum salary of the lowest comparable time-base librarian rank. A difference-in-pay leave can be taken for one or more quarters. Eligibility and related requirements are the same as for a sabbatical leave. More information is in Article 28 of the CBA.
If you do not have your email forwarded to a site, there are two ways to access your email. First, via the web, go to The second way is to use an email program, such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird. Computing Services has an information sheet on how to access email via Outlook. In Thunderbird (or if the previous Outlook instructions don't quite work), use the server name "" and port number "993". You must use an SSL connection from off-campus. Keep in mind that, whenever you change your NetID password, you must change your password within the email program, too.
From a campus phone, "911" will go to the University Police Department. From your cell phone, "911" goes to the California Highway Patrol in Vallejo. It is a good idea to program 510-885-3333 (the University Police Department Emergency Number for Hayward) or 925-602-6737 (the UPD Emergency Number for Concord) in your cell phone for emergencies on campus!
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (LI 2300- located across from the Library) is your best bet. They assist faculty with finding sources of funding, the writing of proposals, and obtaining University approval for the proposals.
Each faculty employee is allowed one personal holiday (a calendar day) during each academic year (it is forfeited if not used). It is presumed that, in the interest of the instructional program, teaching faculty and department chairs will exercise judgment in scheduling the personal holiday, and, except under unusual circumstances, a member of the faculty will not request scheduling of the personal holiday on a day when he/she has teaching responsibilities or will assist the department in finding a substitute. Information about personal holidays is in Article 33 of the CBA.
The Career Development Center has some internship search pages. Those looking to create internship or fieldwork opportunities in exchange for academic credit should see the Service Learning Program on campus.
Full-time instructional faculty and librarians are eligible to receive a leave with pay (sabbatical) after completing six consecutive years of full-time service following any previous sabbatical leave. Credit towards the completion of the probationary period for service elsewhere also applies towards fulfilling the eligibility requirements for a sabbatical. Compensation for sabbatical leaves is as follows: one quarter at full pay; two quarters at 3/4 pay; three quarters at 1/2 pay. Sabbaticals are not automatic; they are competitive and depend upon state funding. If you receive a sabbatical leave, you must work an equivalent amount of time after the leave is over. Also, you may not accept additional employment during your sabbatical without the approval of the President. Details are in the Article 27 of the CBA.
It is a faculty member being on committees or workgroups within a department, a college, or the University. Service is documented in your dossierand is an element considered for promotion, tenure, and retention.
Service learning is having students or a class learn lessons on the subject while serving the community. This might be through outreach to the community events, internships for individuals or small groups, or certain kinds of course fieldwork. Much more information is available at CSUEB's service learning web site.
The Office of Faculty Development hosts numerous events during the year, including "Brown Bag Lunch" discussions, and has a "mentor" program in which senior faculty members (usually from a different college) mentor new faculty. Another way to meet your colleagues is through service. Some campus-wide social events, such as the annual faculty/staff picnic in the Spring, are announced via MassMail.
On the web, The Faculty Teaching page has numerous useful links, as does the Concord Campus Faculty Services Office. In person, the Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching (see FaCET in the glossary) has numerous references in its library and people to offer advice.
Voice mail is maintained by telephone services. They have instructions for voice mail setup on the linked page. About halfway down that same page are instructions on how to access voice mail. At the bottom of that page are instructions for how to access voice mail remotely.
If you need an escort at night on campus, in Hayward, call 885-3791; in Concord, 602-6737.


General Education (GE) is the set of specific area requirements for all baccalaureate students (regardless of major). According to the CSUEB GE webpage: "The goal of General Education (GE) coursework is to give [students] a broad sampling of different academic areas. This sampling exposes [students] to varied disciplines, increasing the value and breadth of your total undergraduate education. G.E. coursework allows [students] to discover new interests that may open a whole new range of opportunities for further study or career choice." The GE subcommittee of CIC recommends new courses to satisfy GE requirements and periodically evaluates existing courses to ensure that they meet the GE standards of the University. Students might ask for advice regarding GE courses and unless the advisor is sure of the answer, it is best to direct the student to the GE Office.
Be as helpful as you can, but, if the problems are not academic, you ultimately want to guide them to Counseling and Psychological Services(885-3690). You might walk over to CaPS with the student. If you believe that the student is a threat to him/herself or others, call 911 from a campus phone, 510-885-3333 from a cell phone on the Hayward campus or 925-602-6737 from a cell phone on the Concord campus. You should probably document non-academic discussions with your department chair, who might be able to provide more specific guidance for future occurrences.
Faculty members are required to take a training course about this type of situation. In general, the student should be referred to the chair or dean. CSUEB publishes a policy on sexual harassment quarterly in the Schedule of Classes.
First and foremost, be familiar with your department's programs! The detailed rules for every major, minor, and certificate program are in the University Catalog. The Catalog changes yearly and students must meet the requirements of either the year they were last admitted to University (if they've come and gone and come back, this can be complicated) or the year they graduate (the student can usually choose). You should have a printed version of the Catalog. Some rules within some programs are flexible (that is, you might be allowed to tell students that they can take one class instead of another); some are not (for example, General Education rules cannot be altered). Speak with your department chair or program advisor before granting the student any changes. If you don't know the answer, tell the student you don't know, but will find out. Then, find out the answer and let the student know! You should probably give the student a "plan to graduate" (a list of courses and the quarters when they should be taken). You can find out which courses a student has taken through MyCSUEB (after logging in, go to "Faculty Center" and then choose "Advisement" and then "new drop-in advisees"; the "unofficial transcript" has the courses and grades, but the "degree progress" section still has problems for most majors and is therefore not recommended). Most departments still have a written "grad check" form. Along with the "unofficial transcript", filling out this form will help you write a "plan" with the student. Sitting in on a few advising sessions with a more senior faculty member is probably a good idea.
The UWSR is a requirement for all degree programs (including graduate degrees) in the CSU. Students may satisfy this requirement by taking courses, taking the Writing Skills Test (WST), or by getting a high enough score on a standardized college exam. Information about the UWSR and how it may be completed is at UWSR Home.
According to Cal State & Local Gov., for graduation with a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree at California State University, East Bay, you must satisfy the U.S. History, Constitution, and American Ideals requirement. Information about the courses or tests to satisfy these requirements are on the cited web page.

Classes, Grading, Schedules, and Rooms

Check the "Important Dates" section, then "Schedule" (on the left-hand side), then "Final Exams" (on the left-hand side) in the Schedule of Classes for the quarter of interest.
On the web, The Faculty Teaching page has numerous useful links, as does the Concord Campus Faculty Services Office. In person, the Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching (see FaCET in the glossary) has numerous references in its library and people to offer advice.

Being disruptive in class? If your efforts to calm the student and resume teaching fail, call the campus police (formerly "public safety") at 510-885-3791 and have them ejected, if they will not leave at your request. Information is available at Dealing with Disruptive Student Behavior.

Cheating? Contact Student Judicial Affairs or your department chairperson. Information about the judicial process is at Student Conduct Rights.

Saying I am being unfair (either in grading or in teaching the class)? Refer the student to the Department Chairperson.

The Concord Campus has a wealth of information for faculty members through its Faculty Service Office, which has a FAQ page and a "faculty survival guide". A short list of phone numbers for assistance at Concord.
Many departments on campus offer one night per week classes to accommodate working students. You should try to schedule classes with particularly difficult content on days that will have at least 10 meetings during the quarter. In order to see how many days per week for each quarter, including schedule adjustments for quarters with multiple holidays, go to OAA and select "Syllabus Planning". Note that courses must meet at least 9 times during the quarter; you must find substitutes for personal holiday or other days you miss class. For advice on how to teach under 1-night-per-week circumstances, speak to colleagues or see an article such as Oscar Wambuguh's.
A basic assumption at CSUEB is that each student should spend two hours of outside preparation for every hour spent in class; therefore, a student enrolled in a four-unit class should expect to spend eight hours a week doing work for that class.
First and foremost, your department must agree to offer the course. A "new course request" form (instructions and associated information is in the Curricular Procedures Manual, under "new courses") must be submitted via your department chair to your college Committee on Instruction and Curriculum. Additional review may be needed, depending on whether your course is intended to meet general education requirements or might be viewed as impinging on another discipline's courses.
The most common course numbers begin with "1" (freshman), "2" (sophomore), "3" (junior), "4" (senior), and "6" (Master's). A more thorough description is in the Catalog (Policy on Course Requirement Information)
(From the 2007-08 CSUEB Catalog, except for the bracketed notes:) The symbol "I", Incomplete (Authorized), indicates that a portion of required coursework has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen, but fully justified, reasons and that there is still a possibility of earning credit. [This means the student must be passing the course when an Incomplete is assigned. See WU below.] It is [the student's] responsibility to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements that must be satisfied to remove the Incomplete. A final grade is assigned when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated. [The] instructor will specify the work needed for completion and will communicate the requirements to [the student] in writing with a copy to the department or program chair. An "I" must normally be made up within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned. This limitation prevails whether or not [the student] maintain[s] continuous enrollment. When [the student completes] the required work and it has been evaluated, [the] instructor will submit a change of grade form and the academic grade will be recorded. If [the student does] not complete [the] work within the allowed time limit, the grade will be recorded as an "IC" (Incomplete Charged). [Note that a form must be filed along with the "I" grade. That form will be linked from the online grades when filed.]
A "W" is the grade recorded on a student's transcript when the student withdraws from a course between the drop deadline and the 8th week of the course. This notation is controlled by the University and instructors cannot change it. It does not affect a student's GPA.
A "WU" is a grade assigned to a student when the student fails to complete coursework and does not qualify for an incomplete. For the student's GPA calculations, "WU" and "F" are equivalent.
The Catalog has information on grades (information about incompleteW, and WU are available by clicking on the corresponding link). State law does not permit "A+" or "D-" grades at the CSU.
If you need to miss a class or office hour for any reason, notify your department chair. Whenever possible, arrange to have your classes covered during your absence. You must use your Personal Holiday or sick leave if you miss a course for non-University reasons.
Office hours are times outside of scheduled class when you make yourself available to students to answer their questions. The policy on office hours is available from the Office of Academic Affairs' Policies and Procedures page, but the main points are: office hours must be held at least two days a week (full-time faculty only); office hours must be held in at-minimum half-hour blocks (some departments strongly encourage at least one hour); and there must be at least 3 hours per week (lecturers must have 1 hour per class per week) minimum. Office hours are part of the CBA and may be strictly enforced by administration. Some faculty members hold separate office hours for each class; some advertise all of their hours to all of their classes.
According to the "Policy on Religious Observance" (linked from the Office of Academic Affairs' Policies and Procedures page), "California Education Code Section 89320 requires faculty to reschedule a test or examination, without penalty to the student, when the regularly scheduled test or examination conflicts with the student's religious observances. Students with other scheduling conflicts related to religious observance should bring these to the attention of the instructor in a timely manner, so that the student will be accommodated, if at all possible." If you wish to define "timely matter" as, for example, 2 weeks, you should do so on your syllabus.
(The Office of Academic Affairs has a "Policy on Course Requirement Information" on its documents page.) A syllabus gives the basic requirements of the course (books, tests, grading policy, etc.) and the contact information for the instructor (including office hours, email address, phone number). A course outline has all the information in a syllabus, plus more details such as the dates for all the readings and homework assignments (including the problems covered). The Student Disability Resources Center suggests adding a couple of sentences about accommodations in their Top 5 Best Practices for Faculty document. Many faculty members put a comment about cheating and plagarism, such as "Students are required to read and understand the CSUEB statement on Academic Dishonesty. The Catalog's statement is at the Grading and Academic Standards FAQ. Violation of any of the standards will result in an F in this course and will be documented in the Academic Affairs Office."
Colleagues or students themselves are a great resource for name pronunciation help. The Office of Faculty Development has a Guide to the Pronunciation of Asian Pacific Names.

Faculty/Shared Governance

The Academic Senate (sometimes, just called "Senate") is the faculty governance body. Elected faculty members, as well as administrators, staff members, and students determine policies, such as General Education requirements, grading policies, and the Academic CalendarCommittees of the Academic Senate include CIC, FAC, COBRA, CAPR and CR . There is a statewide Academic Senate that sets rules for the CSU Systemand gives the faculty a systemwide voice. CSUEB sends 2 senators to that body.
Faculty governance is the process of the faculty determining academic rules, whether for faculty conduct or student regulations. There are mechanisms within every department and college, but the main body for faculty governance is the Academic Senate. University-wide elections are typically held in the Fall and Winter Quarters. College-wide and group (e.g., lecturers and emeriti) elections are typically held in the Spring Quarter.
CAPR reviews academic programs every five years, as mandated by the CSUThe process is outlined here. This process helps to ensure that a program is maintaining its academic standards and is getting the resources it needs to succeed.


The University holds licenses for numerous useful software packages and may be able to purchase other programs that are needed by faculty across departments. Information about this is available starting with computing services. If the University licenses a program, but the department does not seem to have it and a faculty member wants it, go to the help desk or visit MATS (though some discipline-specific software is made available through the college). Programs that are licensed for student use may be obtained by faculty through MATS, as well.
Computing services has information about how to use many common programs.

Who is and why do I keep getting emails from him/her?

Jennifer Cabrejas is the Information Coordinator for the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs. She often sends out announcements regarding calls for proposals on behalf of the ORSP.
Jennifer Eagan is the Chapter President of the CFA. She sends out information about labor negotiations and other Union matters to faculty.
Sophie Rollins is the Academic Senate Office Staff members. She is often asked by the Senate Chairperson or Executive Committe to send out emails with important announcements to faculty. They also send out communiques from the Senate Office about committee matters, faculty elections, and Statewide Senate issues.
Ruthy Stephan and Gina Traversa are members of the Office of Academic Affairs staff. They maintain the mailing list for tenured and tenure-track faculty and lecturers and are often asked to send out emails to faculty for the Provost's Office.
Roz McCall is a staff member for the Office of Faculty Development. She often sends out announcements about faculty workshops and other events on behalf of the OFD.
Ruthy Stephan and Gina Traversa are members of the Office of Academic Affairs staff. They maintain the mailing list for tenured and tenure-track faculty and lecturers and are often asked to send out emails to faculty for the Provost's Office.
Mitch Watnik is the Chair of the Academic Senate for 2011-12. As part of his duties, he sends out periodic reports on events in the Senate or system-wide announcements to faculty.
Barry Zepel is the Media Relations Officer and sends out some of the University Communications announcements on campus. He answers media inquiries about CSUEB and composes press releases, as well as internal University announcements.
© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.