Top NavTop NavTop Nav

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Program

Attend an award-winning university in heart of Northern California's exciting San Francisco Bay Area — for nearly the same cost as a public university in your home state!

Learn more about Cal State East Bay and the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program at one of our fall events. Contact Ilana Samuels with questions about WUE college fairs.

To learn more, view our Frequently Asked Questions, call 510-885-3500 or e-mail

How it works and WUE tuition and fees

Through its membership in WUE, Cal State East Bay permits eligible undergraduate students in 14 western states or commonwealth to enroll at a reduced tuition and fee level while students earn their bachelor's degree. WUE tuition fees are 150% of the CA resident tuition fees.

WUE students may major in any open undergraduate major (except fully online majors) offered at California State University, East Bay. Some popular majors may be impacted due to high demand; see the CSU Impacted Majors List for details.

WUE Tuition and Fees for Undergraduate Students
Tuition and FeesOn-CampusOff-Campus
Undergraduate Fees* $9,300 $9,300
Books and Supplies $1,500 $1,500
Food and Housing $14,184 $13,884
Transportation $1,182 $1,314
Miscellaneous/Personal $1,392 $1,392
Total $27,558 $27,390

*Based on 2016-2017 tuition and fees for undergraduate, full-time enrollment of 12 units and an academic year of 3 quarter terms. Other expenses may vary. Amounts are subject to change. Student must be admitted and submit the WUE Participation Agreement Form to determine program eligibility.

Eligibility for WUE students

Undergraduate students with residency in an eligible western state or commonwealth can enroll in classes at 150% of California resident tuition and fees. Residents from the following states or commonwealth may qualify to be eligible for WUE fees:

  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Guam
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • The Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

To qualify for WUE Tuition Fees:

Ready to Apply? Here's how in three easy steps.

Step 1: You must be a legal resident of one of the WUE states (Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.)

Step 2: Apply for admission to Cal State East Bay following the steps and using the application for your grade level. (Only undergraduate students can receive WUE fees.

Step 3: Submit a WUE Participation Agreement Form (pdf).

For more information about how to qualify and apply contact Cal State East Bay's WUE Coordinator, Dave Vasquez at (510) 885-2029, or e-mail

© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.