Top NavTop NavTop Nav


Residency determination qualifies students for resident, non-resident/ international, or Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) tuition and fees. Tuition and fees are based on the state of your permanent residency or the residency of your parents if you are a minor.

Requirements for Residency

To be considered a California resident, an adult applicant must have established and maintained permanent residence in California for at least one year prior to the residency determination date. Complete details can be found in the University Catalog, which is the final authority on matters of residence.

For more information, please review How Residency Is Determined for Tuition Purposes and Ten Things To Know About Residency.

Residency Determination Dates

  • Fall Quarter: September 20th
  • Winter Quarter: January 5th
  • Spring Quarter: April 1st
  • Summer Quarter: July 1st

Residency determination for minor applicants (under age 18) is based on the residency status of their parents. Proof of residence requires evidence of the following conditions:

  1. physical presence in California at least one year before the residence determination date
  2. intent to remain in California indefinitely.

A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish eligibility for resident classification will be classified as a nonresident, and asked to complete and submit the Residence Questionnaire.

Visit CSUMentor for more information on meeting California State University, East Bay Residency Requirements.

For more information contact

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Residency Requirements

Through its membership in WUE, Cal State East Bay permits undergraduate students in 14 western states to enroll at a reduced tuition and fee level during their bachelor's degree program. WUE tuition and fees are 150% of the regular resident tuition and fees.

Residents from the following states may qualify for WUE tuition fees:
Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.

To qualify for WUE tuition and fees, admitted undergraduate students with legal residency in a state participating in WUE must submit a WUE Participation Agreement Form. For full details see the WUE Program

If you have questions please contact the Office of Admission at (510) 885-2784 or e-mail

© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.