Becoming a Peer Mentor
1. How do I become a Peer Mentor?
Step One: Attend an Information Workshop
Information workshops are held during the end of fall quarter and beginning of winter quarter. It is mandatory for an applicant to attend a workshop before submitting an application to the program. Alumni, staff, and current peer mentors participate in the workshops to share their experiences and answer any questions that you may have. To sign up for a workshop, click here.
Step Two: Complete an Application
Complete all 3 parts of the application by the January 14th deadline.
- Online Application Form - Click here **must be logged in to horizon email account**
- Personal Statement and Unofficial University Transcript, for instructions and form, click here **Submit these to Peer Mentor Office, SA 1700**
- Faculty Recommendation Form - Click here
Step Three: Application Review
Applications are reviewed by the program director, coordinator and senior staff. Selected applicants are then invited to a group interview via email notification.
Step Four: Interview
Selected applicants will attend a group interview during the winter quarter. Interviews are conducted by a panel consisting of the director, coordinator, program staff, and a General Studies faculty.
Step Five: Selections for Leadership
Applicants that receive a recommendation from the interview panel are invited via email notification to participate in a spring leadership training course.
Step Six: Training
Selected applicants participate in the mandatory leadership training course during the spring quarter.
Step Seven: Final Selection
Leadership students that display the necessary traits to be a successful peer mentor are offered a position as a peer mentor for the following academic year.
2. What are the minimum requirements to become a Peer Mentor?
- The Peer Leadership applicant must be a CSUEB student and plan to continue at CSUEB the following academic year, receive at least a "B" in GS 1011 and plan to complete developmental math and English coursework by the end of the 2015 spring quarter.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better in order to apply. Applicants must maintain a 2.5 GPA during their tenure as a peer mentor.