Becoming a Peer Mentor
1. How do I become a Peer Mentor?
Step One: Complete the Application Tutorial
Complete the Application Tutorial - Click here.
Optional: If you would like to speak with a peer mentor about their experiences or have unanswered questions, feel fre to attend a Peer Mentor Panel session in our office located in SA 1700. You can find the dates and times here.
Step Two: Complete an Application
Complete all 3 parts of the application by the January 11th deadline.
- Online Application Form - Click here **must log in to BaySync Account**
- Personal Statement and Unofficial University Transcript, for instructions and form, Click here **Submit these to Peer Mentor Office, SA 1700**
- Faculty Recommendation Form - Click here
Step Three: Application Review
Applications are reviewed by the program director, coordinator and senior staff. Selected applicants are then invited to a group interview via email notification to your horizon account.
Step Four: Interview
Selected applicants will attend a group interview during the winter quarter. Interviews are conducted by a panel consisting of the director, coordinator, and program staff.
Step Five: Selections for Leadership
Applicants that receive a recommendation from the interview panel are invited via email notification to participate in a spring leadership training course.
Step Six: Training
Selected applicants participate in the mandatory leadership training course during the spring quarter.
Step Seven: Final Selection
Leadership students that display the necessary traits to be a successful peer mentor are offered a position as a peer mentor for the following academic year.
2. What are the minimum requirements to become a Peer Mentor?
- The Peer Leadership applicant must be a CSUEB student and plan to continue at CSUEB the following academic year, receive at least a "B" in GS 1011 and plan to complete developmental math and English coursework by the end of the 2015 spring quarter.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better in order to apply. Applicants must maintain a 2.5 GPA during their tenure as a peer mentor.