Benefits: Why Should I Join the Peer Mentor Program?
Most notably, peer mentors gain the chance to take on an integral role in General Studies (GS) classrooms. Mentors assist GS instructors by designing and presenting lesson plans pertaining to such topics as managing time, coping with stress, understanding diversity and utilizing campus resources.
However, becoming a peer mentor involves more than contributing to the success of community learning on campus. The program reinforces the importance of leadership development for each member of the program.
Individual benefits of committing oneself to the program include:
- Acquisition of substantial leadership experience
- Development of teaching skills
- Improved public speaking
- Learned adaptation to diverse situations
- Invaluable interpersonal skills
- Support from the large network of peer mentors
Previous mentors have gone on to:
- Found and develop new campus clubs
- Obtain work study and staff positions in the General Education Office
- Earn positions at other campus organizations
- Clarify or alter their career path
Peer Mentor Services
Phone: (510) 885-2498
Mon thru Fri: 9:00am - 4:00pm