Top NavTop NavTop Nav

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Maybe. You should meet with your faculty advisor or with an advisor in the College of Science Student Service Center. If the course is listed on, it will be accepted for credit as indicated on that site.
Meet with your faculty advisor. Only your faculty advisor can approve course substitutions. You should be prepared to give a justification for using the course that is linked to your educational goals.

Faculty office hours and links to make appointments are located on their faculty profile page.

Faculty Profile Pages

No. Your major faculty advisors will not provide GE advising.
Faculty advisors are assigned by student NETID. The assignments are located on the major advising page.

Classes and Curriculum

Students may select options in Administration and Management, Pre-Clinical Preparation, Community Health, and Environmental Health. The details of the options and their requirements are located in the CSUEB Catalog
HSC 4500 will not be offered after Summer 2018. The equivalent to this course in semesters is the HSC 499 courses.

General Questions

The safest and best thing to do when addressing your professor / instructor is to call her "Professor ______" or "Dr. ________." You should use this form both in person and in email. 

If your professor gives you permission to call them by their first name, please do!

Generally, you should write your emails in a formal style both when emailing individuals at CSUEB and also when you email potential internship placement sites, and employers.

OWL Purdue has a great resource on this!

You can also find more help and guidance at AACE or by asking your faculty advisor for tips.

These are all ranks or positions of faculty at CSUEB. Tenure track faculty include Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor and are full time positions that lead to a faculty member earning tenure. Usually, Assistant Professor is the entry-level rank followed by Associate Professor and then Professor. An Assistant Professor usually works for six years before earning tenure and being promoted to Associate Professor. Tenure track faculty are expected to perform research as part of their work.

Lecturers are faculty that are hired on a part-time or full-time basis to teach courses in a department. Lecturers are not eligible for tenure and are not expected to perform research but may do so depending on the program.

None. The Health Sciences Progam is one program offered across all of the campuses at Cal State East Bay. We do not consider students as being based at either campus. Students may take classes across all of our campuses.

Grades, Drops and Class Withdrawal

No. You must earn a C or better in all HSC prefix courses for credit.


Yes. Through the Center for Community and Engagement students participate in internships as part of HSC 4500.

Permission Numbers

No. Effective Winter 2018, permission numbers will no longer be required to enroll into any Health Sciences course.


Depending on your enrollment appointment, you can enroll in an upper division HSC course IF you have completed all required prerequisites for the course. The Health Sciences Department uses an enrollment report to verify prerequisite completion for each upper division course. If you do not meet the course requirements, you are not eligible to take the course and if you enroll, you will be dropped. No exceptions!
No. You must complete the prerequisite with a C or better before you can take the next class in sequence.
No. You will be able to enroll in the class depending on your registration priority and if there is space in the class when it is time for you to enroll.
© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.