Top NavTop NavTop Nav


All GE advisement is done through the General Education Program and the University Advisement Center (UAC). If you have questions about what upper or lower division GE courses you need to take call the UAC at 510-885-3621.

You enroll for classes in the preceding quarter using MyCSUEB, an automated online enrollment system. An "Enrollment Appointment" is e-mailed to students' CSUEB Horizon e-mail account of all eligible students approximately one week before enrollment begins. New admits may view their enrollment appointments on MyCSUEB

The Class Schedule is generally available online around the same time as you receive your "Enrollment Appointment." Read the Class Schedule, and then meet with your academic advisor to plan your program of classes. Your enrollment times are determined by your class level. You will be able to enroll or make adjustments to your class schedule any time after your assigned enrollment time. See the Class Schedule for MyCSUEB's operating hours and for enrollment procedures. If you have any difficulties enrolling, call Enrollment Management at 510-885-2784

The Department of Hospitality, Recreation & Tourism has three major options

  • B.S. in Hospitality and Tourism
  • B.S. in Recreation with an option in Recreation Therapy
  • B.S. in Recreation with an option in Leisure Management

         To join the department as a major you must complete and submit a CHANGE OF MAJOR FORM.

If you are majoring in a department other than Hospitality, Recreation & Tourism (HRT) you can earn a minor in HRT

  • Minor Recreation
  • Minor in Recreation Therapy
  • Minor in Hospitality
You may add courses during your enrollment times, the open enrollment, or during the Add/Drop period either by (a) using MyCSUEB, or (b) coordinating your enrollment with the appropriate academic department office for Independent Study, Individual Study, Project, and/or Thesis courses. You have the right to add classes during the Add/Drop period, subject to having successfully completed the prerequisites (coursework and/or consent of instructor as stated in the Catalog) and to the availability of sufficient capacity in the class to accommodate you.

The word "drop" refers to official deletion of a course from your record. If you cannot continue enrollment in a course for which you enrolled in for that particular quarter, you must officially drop the course using MyCSUEB. You may drop courses through the end of the Add/Drop period without the course appearing on your permanent record. After the Add/Drop period, students may only withdraw from courses. See the next section "Withdrawing from the University" if you plan to withdraw from all courses for which you enrolled in for the term

Departments offering a class may drop you if you don't attend the first class meeting or if you have not met the course prerequisites that are published in the University Catalog. Some departments may call or email you as a matter of courtesy when they are dropping you, but other departments may not. There is no university policy and this will vary by department. Do not assume that you will be dropped automatically if you do not attend class.

This administrative grade indicates you were permitted to withdraw from a course after the end of the Add/Drop period with the approval of the instructor and appropriate campus officials. This grade does not reflect the quality of your performance and is not used in calculating your grade point average. Your instructor is urged to provide you with a mechanism to evaluate your progress in the course during the first two weeks so that you can make an informed decision regarding your continued enrollment before the beginning of the withdrawal period

Withdrawal after the seventh week is normally not permitted. If you have attended the class, done the work, and have a valid reason for failing to complete the course, your instructor should normally assign the "I," Incomplete (Authorized) grade

Withdrawal from a class after the seventh week requires verification of the reason by an impartial third party, written on letterhead stationery, and approval by the instructor, the department chair and university registrar. The requirements for withdrawal from the university from the third through the seventh weeks must also be fulfilled

You may not withdraw if you have taken the final examination

If you do not attend class and do not have an approved withdrawal petition, you will receive a failing grade of "WU" or "NC," depending on the grading pattern you selected for the course

The normal academic load for full-time undergraduate students is 15-16 units of coursework (12 units is the minimum for full-time status) per quarter. Students on the Four-year Degree Pledge Program must enroll in 15-16 units per quarter. Generally, you can expect two hours of preparation for each hour of classroom work. Taking online courses you can expect to spend the time that you would spend in a classroom on the computer and doing assignments
A 400 (600 for Recreation Therapy option) hour internship is a required element for all three degree programs in our department. You should enroll in the appropriate internship placement course 2 quarters BEFORE you plan to start our internship. Ideally your internship should be the last course you take before graduating. You are responsible for finding your own internship, but your supervisor can help you if you are not able to find something. You must have your internship site approved by the supervisor before starting
Apply for graduation 2 quarters before your intended date of graduation. You can apply at MyCSUEB. You will also be responsible for having a graduation check completed. The Department of Leadership in Hospitality and Leisure will check off your major courses, but the University Advisement Center will check your general education courses. You can make an appointment with Andrea (Andie) Weicker to go over your grad requirements. Email her at to set up an appointment
© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.