MESA Community College Program
The MESA Community College Program supports students to successfully transfer to four-year universities in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) majors. This support is especially crucial to students who come from low-performing high schools. The MESA Community College Program is a partnership between MESA and the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office
Main components include:
- Academic excellence workshops. Students are scheduled in the same core math and science classes and taught how to successfully master complex technical ideas and principles through a collaborative approach.
- Orientation course. New students learn skills to excel as math, science and engineering majors.
- Academic advising/counseling. Students receive individualized academic guidance and develop multi-year plans so they can take courses in the most effective sequence and transfer in a timely manner.
- Student study center. This dedicated multipurpose space is the hub for study, workshops, special activities and information sharing. It is a key element in building a close learning community.
- Assistance in the transfer process. MESA provides counseling, workshops, and visits to four-year universities.
- Career development. Students learn specifics about various engineering majors and job experiences. Industry mentors, job shadowing opportunities, career fairs, internships, scholarships and field trips to companies are also offered.
- Links with student and professional organizations. These resources provide mentors, guest speakers, and tours of companies.
- Professional development. Through workshops and mock job fairs, students learn soft skills, corporate culture, resume writing and interviewing skills.
- Industry Advisory partnerships. Local boards offer valuable connections between students and industry leaders. Corporate representatives, including MESA alumni, participate on boards and provide scholarships, strategic planning, summer internships, field trips, scholarships, employment opportunities and other resources.