A digest of top, need-to-know dates, deadlines and events for faculty, staff and students, "This Month at CSUEB" is a regular feature of The View e-News. Read on for updates and previews of what’s happening at Cal State East Bay in the coming month:
• Attend a reception from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday (March 4) for the exhibition "Stamps and Lamps, Toys and Tins: The Things We Collect and Why We Collect Them" at the C.E. Smith Museum of Anthropology, in MI 4047. The exhibition runs March 7 through June 3, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday (except March 21-25, March 31 and May 30). A small version of last year's exhibition, "Trails to Rails: Building the Transcontinental Railroad," will also be on view. Admission is free.
• Learn about new voluntary benefit programs – from a prepaid legal plan to a critical illness plan -- offered through the CSU for employees March 9 at a New Voluntary Benefit Plan Fair. Hosted by Human Resources, the fair runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the New University Union, Bayview Room.
• Explore teaching as a career from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 26 at the annual Day of the Teacher conference at the Concord campus of Cal State East Bay. Sign up by March 15 for $15; rate is $20 from March 16 to 26. Register online.
• Share your thoughts about the CSU Web site and the new Systemwide Employee Intranet under development by the Chancellor’s Office Communications Department through an online survey. The survey, available through March 11, asks how employees use the existing CSU Web site, which contains content every employee needs to access, what they like and dislike about it and what would be helpful in a new employee site.
• Be one of the first 50 people in line for the 9 a.m. March 7 grand opening of Einstein Bros. Bagels on the Hayward campus and receive a coupon booklet entitling you to a free bagel each week for the coming year. Or try out a fresh bagel, coffee and other goodies during the “soft opening” this week. Bay Bucks and Flex Dollars accepted. View hours, contest rules and other details online.
• Check out the Annual Faculty and Staff Art Exhibition, which opens today (March 2) and runs through April 2 (except March 30) in the University Art Gallery, first floor of the Art and Education Building. Free admission. Hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and Saturday; and 6 to 9 p.m. Fridays.
• Need new glasses? Make an optometry appointment at Student Health and Counseling Services, which offers eye exams, prescriptions, contact lens fittings, a wide selection of frames and related services. For more information, visit the Web site or call (510) 885-3735.
• Students, for free e-tutoring, contact the Student Center for Academic Achievement. The center recently made online tutoring available in biology, physiology and anatomy, physics, chemistry, accounting, math, writing and statistics. Learn more at the SCAA Web site.