A digest of top, need-to-know dates, deadlines and events for faculty, staff and students, "This Month at CSUEB" is a regular feature of The View e-News. Read on for updates and previews of what’s happening at Cal State East Bay in the coming month:
• Strap on your dancing shoes April 8 for “Dancing With The Stars,” the Eighth Annual CSUEB African American Faculty and Staff Association Scholarship Dinner Celebration. The event starts at 5:30 p.m. in the New University Union multipurpose room. Program includes an authentic soul food dinner, scholarship presentations and live performances. General admission tickets are $40; and $30 for students (with CSUEB I.D.).
• Welcome Day honoring students admitted for fall 2011 is scheduled for April 16. The annual event allows incoming students to: meet other new students; hear from staff and faculty about next steps and deadlines for enrollment, financial aid, housing and orientation; learn about academic programs and majors; tour campus and residence halls; and find out about clubs and organizations. Details are available online.
• Guest artist and saxophonist David Binney will perform at the 26th Annual CSUEB Jazz Festival Concert at 8 p.m. April 15 in the University Theatre. Admission is $10 per person. See details on the Department of Music Web site.
• Middle school and high school students and their parents are invited to CSUEB April 30 for The Annual Education Summit For African American and Latino Youth: Preparing for College and Career Success. Highlights of the summit will include inspirational speakers, college and career-related workshops and a college and resource fair with representatives in attendance from campuses throughout Northern California. Visit the Web site for more information.
• The Annual Student Juried Exhibition opening reception and awards ceremony is scheduled from 5 to 7 p.m. April 25 in the University Art Gallery, first floor of the Art & Education Building. The exhibition will continue from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and Saturdays; and from 6 to 9 p.m. Fridays through June 4. Admission is free.
• Take advantage of special offers available to employees for services such as insurance through the new voluntary benefit plans. Through May 15, California Casualty Group Auto and Home offers a $15 Target gift card when a CSUEB employee seeks a quote for auto or home insurance.
• What’s your vision for the California State University system of the future? It’s a question the CSU poses on its recently launched 50th anniversary Web site, where you are encouraged to share your thoughts.