A digest of top, need-to-know dates, deadlines and events for faculty, staff and students, "This Month at CSUEB" is a regular feature of The View e-News. Read on for updates and previews of what’s happening at Cal State East Bay in the coming month:
• Participate in a series of activities Jan. 17 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Coffee and Conversations will be held at 10 a.m., followed by a noon MLK Celebration, including free soul food, speeches, music performances and an appearance by the James Logan High School Forensics Team. A Reel Talk is scheduled at 4:30 p.m. All events will be held in the New University Union. Sponsors include the Ethnic Studies Department, Associated Students Inc. Diversity Center, the Black Student Union and Student Life and Leadership.
• Join the Pioneers for basketball vs. Chico State Jan. 20 as fans strive to "Pack the Gym." If 1,000 basketball boosters fill the stands, everyone in the gym will receive a coupon for free food from Chipotle. The women's game starts at 5:30 p.m., followed by the men's game at 7:30 p.m. in the Pioneer Gym.
• Assist in welcoming Cal State East Bay’s new and continuing veteran students back to campus at the Jan. 25 Veteran Welcome Reception and Informational Presentation. Reception begins at 2:30 p.m. followed by remarks at 3 p.m. in the New University Union multipurpose room B. Light refreshments will be served. RSVP to email@example.com. To host a table, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Help the Pioneer Student-Athlete Advisory Council raise money for Make-A-Wish by buying tickets to the TPC Stonebrae Championship, a PGA TOUR event April 11 through 15 in Hayward. Half the proceeds from tickets purchased online will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
• Save the dates Feb. 10 and 11 for homecoming basketball games against San Francisco State, including half-time recognition of CSUEB's first men's basketball team. Other festivities throughout the week honoring Athletics' 50-year anniversary will include red-and-black day, an East Bay Idol Contest via YouTube submissions, an alumni social, homecoming parade and homecoming dance.