A digest of top, need-to-know dates, deadlines and events for faculty, staff and students, "This Month at CSUEB" is a regular feature of The View e-News. Read on for updates and previews of what’s happening at Cal State East Bay in the coming month:
• The summer guest artist series continues with an Aug. 1 performance by Vietnamese-American storyteller Thao Nguyen. Nguyen will present a solo story about conflict between her family life and her Queer life. Later in the month, Alumna Dawn Monique Williams directs a dance-infused production of Shakespeare’s “As You Like It” at 8 p.m. Aug. 10, 11, 17 and 18, and at 2 p.m. Aug. 19. Shows will be held in the Studio Theatre. Tickets range from $5 to $10 for the storyteller performance. Tickets for “As You Like It” will be $15, $10 and $5. For details, call (510) 885-3118.
• Attend an Aug. 7 Medicare and Retirement Seminar, and find out how Medicare and CalPERS benefits work together, who is eligible for Medicare, and pointers on enrolling in Medicare parts A and B. The session, offered by the Office of Human Resources, runs from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. in the University Libary Biella Room. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A student artist series will complete CSUEB's summer program offerings. Recital A at 4 p.m. Aug. 22 will present performance art dealing with sex, race and body politics. Recital B, at noon Aug. 29, articulates identity through oral interpretation. Admission is $1 online or free at the door for CSUEB students, and $3 for all others. Tickets may be purchased online.
• Get an edge in your job search by attending a free summer workshop series for recent CSUEB graduates and continuing students that focuses on preparing participants for careers after college. Offered by Academic Advising and Career Education (AACE), workshop subjects include: Finding Government Jobs (Aug. 7), How to Sell Yourself (Aug. 9), Social Media and Networking (Aug. 21) and Putting It All Together (Aug. 23). Each session runs from 11 a.m. to noon in SSA, room 2300.
• Tee off for the Pioneers at 10 a.m. Aug. 20 at the 16th Annual Cal State East Bay Golf Classic and Benefit Dinner at TPC Stonebrae in Hayward. Proceeds benefit the Richard and Susan Sherratt Athletic Scholarship Endowment. Find details and registration forms online.