A digest of top, need-to-know dates, deadlines and events for faculty, staff and students, "This Month at CSUEB" is a regular feature of The View e-News. Read on for updates and previews of what’s happening at Cal State East Bay in the coming month:
• Take part in a "Day of Celebration, A Week of Service" by volunteering Oct. 6 with students, faculty and other members of the CSUEB community to help spruce-up Harder Elementary School in Hayward. Sign up online for one of two shifts, representing a kick-off of a week of service activities in observance of the Oct. 12 Presidential Investiture of Leroy M. Morishita, the university's fifth president. For details about the Investiture Day of Service, contact Stan Hebert at email@example.com or (510) 885-4740.
• Don’t be bugged by the flu. Come to the Walk-in Flu Shot Clinic Oct. 9, 10, 30 and 31 at the Student Health Center on the Hayward campus. Flu shots are available for the Concord Campus by appointment; call (925) 602-6709. Available to students, staff and faculty for $15, while supplies last.
• Celebrate the students, faculty and new president of CSUEB Oct. 12 during a day of festivities on the Hayward campus, including the Presidential Investiture, faculty honors convocation and al Fresco.
• Talk with representatives from approximately 70 graduate and professional schools from across the country about admissions requirements, costs, financial aid and more Oct. 18 at the annual Graduate School Fair. The free event, scheduled from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., will be held in the walkway by the Pioneer Bookstore, University Unions and Meiklejohn Hall. For more information, call (510) 885-3286 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Toast the successes of the Department of Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism from 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 19 at a free cocktail party celebrating the department’s 50th anniversary. The event, organized by members of the original Department of Recreation class of 1963, welcomes back to campus the approximately 2,050 alumni and other supporters of the program. RSVP online to attend the party, to be held in the New University Union multipurpose room.
• Drop by for Student Health and Counseling Services’ Haunted Open House from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 24. Take a tour of the facility, meet the staff, participate in healthy trick-or-treating, play games and win prizes.
• Faculty member Gary Weston of the physics department will lead a star party from 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 26 on the east lawn picnic area adjacent to the Science Buildings on the Hayward campus. For further information, e-mail Gary.Weston@csueastbay.edu.
• Browse through the Annual Art Faculty and Staff Exhibition, starting Oct. 23 at the reception scheduled from 5 to 7 p.m. in the University Art Gallery, first floor of the Art and Education Building. The exhibition continues through Dec. 1. Hours are: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday; and 2 to 7 p.m. Thursday. The Gallery will be closed Nov. 22 and 23 for Thanksgiving. Admission is free.
• No, filming of the next Spiderman movie is not in the works for the Hayward Campus. But take note that the 2012 Urban Shield exercise, including climbing activities on the exterior of Warren Hall, is again planned at CSUEB, beginning Oct. 26.