Office of Research and Sponsored Programs

CSUEB Travel and Foreign Travel Policy Addendum.

All CSUEB must travel in accordance with CSU Chancellor's Office travel policy.  All personnel engaged with travel on federal awards must also ensure compliance with 2 CFR 200.474 unless award was sponsor terms and conditions are applicable.

Travel costs.

  • General. Travel costs are the expenses for transportation, lodging, subsistence, and related items incurred by employees who are in travel status on official business of the non-Federal entity. Such costs may be charged on an actual cost basis, on a per diem or mileage basis in lieu of actual costs incurred, or on a combination of the two, provided the method used is applied to an entire trip and not to selected days of the trip, and results in charges consistent with those normally allowed in like circumstances in the non-Federal entity's non-federally-funded activities and in accordance with non-Federal entity's written travel reimbursement policies. Notwithstanding the provisions of §200.444 General costs of government, travel costs of officials covered by that section are allowable with the prior written approval of the Federal awarding agency or pass-through entity when they are specifically related to the Federal award.
  • Lodging and subsistence. Costs incurred by employees and officers for travel, including costs of lodging, other subsistence, and incidental expenses, must be considered reasonable and otherwise allowable only to the extent such costs do not exceed charges normally allowed by the non-Federal entity in its regular operations as the result of the non-Federal entity's written travel policy. In addition, if these costs are charged directly to the Federal award documentation must justify that:
    • Participation of the individual is necessary to the Federal award; and
    • The costs are reasonable and consistent with non-Federal entity's established travel policy.
  • Temporary dependent care costs. (as dependent is defined in 26 U.S.C. 152) above and beyond regular dependent care that directly results from travel to conferences is allowable provided that:
    • The costs are a direct result of the individual's travel for the Federal award;
    • The costs are consistent with the non-Federal entity's documented travel policy for all entity travel; and
    • Are only temporary during the travel period.
  • Travel costs for dependents are unallowable, except for travel of duration of six months or more with prior approval of the Federal awarding agency. See also §200.432 Conferences.
  • Commercial air travel. (1) Airfare costs in excess of the basic least expensive unrestricted accommodations class offered by commercial airlines are unallowable except when such accommodations would:
    • Require circuitous routing;
    • Require travel during unreasonable hours;
    • Excessively prolong travel;
    • Result in additional costs that would offset the transportation savings; or
    • Offer accommodations not reasonably adequate for the traveler's medical needs. The non-Federal entity must justify and document these conditions on a case-by-case basis in order for the use of first-class or business-class airfare to be allowable in such cases.
    • Unless a pattern of avoidance is detected, the Federal Government will generally not question a non-Federal entity's determinations that customary standard airfare or other discount airfare is unavailable for specific trips if the non-Federal entity can demonstrate that such airfare was not available in the specific case.
  • Air travel by other than commercial carrier. Costs of travel by non-Federal entity-owned, -leased, or -chartered aircraft include the cost of lease, charter, operation (including personnel costs), maintenance, depreciation, insurance, and other related costs.

International Travel

In addition to CSUEB travel policy all personnel engaged in travel activities on federally funded contracts, grants, or sponsored agreements must comply with the Fly America Act (Use of U.S. Carriers).  The Fly America Act refers to the provisions enacted by section 5 of the International Air and Transportation Fair Competitive Practices Act of 1974.  It is included in Federal Trade Regulation Chapter 301


In some cases, travel to foreign countries, which have been placed on the Warning Countries list, will require additional approval and insurance from the Chancellor’s Office as stated in Code: RM 2013-01


Open Skies Agreements

Generally, if a traveler is traveling on funds provided by the federal government, the traveler must use a U.S. flag carrier (an airline owned by an American company), regardless of cost or convenience.  If you are scheduling international travel that is federally funded you must ensure that all flights, where possible, are scheduled on U.S. flag carriers or on foreign air carriers that code share with a U.S. flag carrier.  This means your confirmation of flight must reference a U.S. carrier (even if you transfer to a foreign carrier).  Compliance with the Fly America Act is required however there are exceptions of which include the “Open Skies Air Transport agreement, which permits travel on European Union airlines (as long as the traveler’s destination is a EU county) as well as U.S. Flag Air Carriers.


Exceptions to Open Skies Agreements

Travel that is to be reimbursed from federal funds must be booked through U.S. carriers except in the following circumstances:

  • When the use of U.S. carrier service would extend travel time (including delay at origin) by 24 hours or more
  • When the costs of transportation are reimbursed in fully by a third party, such as a foreign government or international agency
  • When U.S. carriers do not offer nonstop or direct services between origin and destination.  However, a U.S. carrier must be used on every portion of the route where it provides service unless, when compared to using a foreign air carrier, such use would
    - increase the number of aircraft changes outside the United States by two or more
    -extend travel time by six hours or more
    -require a connecting time of four hours or more at an overseas interchange point.

A listing of other exceptions to the Fly America Act can be found in the Federal Travel Regulation Guidelines – FTR sections 301-10.135-138.  ORSP has provided a “Fly America Act Waiver Checklist” that can be used to determine if exceptions can be made.  In cases where exceptions are made, travelers will have to provide ORSP with the completed checklist and supporting documentation.


CSU Travel Ban

Effective January 1, 2017, Assembly Bill 1887, section 11139.8, placed travel restrictions to any state that enacted a law after June 26, 2015, that voids or repeals, or has the effect of voiding or repealing, existing state or local protections against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression, or has enacted a law that authorizes or requires discrimination against same-sex couples or their families or on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression, including any law that creates an exemption to antidiscrimination laws in order to permit discrimination against same-sex couples or their families or on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Current restricted states include Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee. The travel restrictions are as follows:

  • The CSU is restricted from requiring employees to travel to those states.
  • The CSU is prohibited from approving state funded or state sponsored travel to those states.
  • Exceptions to the travel prohibitions may be granted for the following purposes:
  • Enforcement of California law, including auditing and revenue collection. 
  • Litigation. 
  • To meet contractual obligations incurred before January 1, 2017. 
  • To comply with requests by the federal government to appear before committees. 
  • To participate in meetings or training required by a grant or required to maintain grant funding.
  • To complete job-required training necessary to maintain licensure or similar standards required for holding a position, in the event that comparable training cannot be obtained in California or a different state not affected. 
  • For the protection of public health, welfare, or safety, as determined by the CSU or other state agencies.

The complete list of restricted states is maintained on the California State Attorney General’s website at State of California Department of Justice AB1887. Travelers and approvers are required to check the website for the current list when planning to travel out of state.


Roles and Responsibilities:


  • Ensure compliance with CSUEB travel policy for all personnel engaged with travel
  • Ensure international travel is approved by sponsor prior to traveling and has Presidents approval 45 days in advance.
  • Work with ORSP to ensure there are no Export Controls associated with foreign travel.  If export controls are identified they must be resolved prior to travel (see Export Control policy).
  • It is the responsibility of PIs/Co-PIs and all other personnel to ensure compliance with CSUEB travel policy for all travelers who are traveling using federal funds.  Before making air travel arrangements, PIs/Co-PIs and all personnel must identify the source of funding and if federal, ensure the booking of air travel is compliant with this Act.  All travel not in compliance with this act will not be covered using federal funds and will not be approved.  PIs/Co-PIs and all other personnel seeking to waive the requirements of this act may do so by completing CSUEB’s Fly America Act Waiver Checklist. 
  • In addition, all faculty, student and staff traveling internationally on CSU business are required to use the California State University Risk Management Authority (CSURMA) Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP).  If such travel is to foreign countries listed on the Warning Countries list, all CSU travelers must work with ORSP to obtain the appropriate approvals, complete the CSU Campus Approval Request Form (45 Days Prior To Departure), and obtain CSURMA FTIP insurance prior to traveling. This also includes registering for the State Department’s Safe Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP).  Travelers need only to enroll once and can update as trips are planned. 



  • Ensure PIs are informed of current travel policies (i.e. orientation, quarterly meetings)
  • Assist PIs with reviewing all travel claims submitted in to ensure compliance with this policy and applicable university policies and procedures.
  • Work with relevant campus departments to ensure compliance with this policy.
  • Maintain and update travel policy.


Quick Guide To Travel






Include in budget to sponsor

PIs must complete Travel Pre-Authorization Form four weeks in advance.  International Travel requires Presidents signature 45 days in advance. Signed form 261 (authorization to use privately owned vehicles on state business).  This form must be completed annually.

  1. Complete Travel Pre-Approval Form. Without this form ORSP will not approve the travel expense.
  2. Flights: Can be booked using Global Travel Reservations.  Form and Instructions
  3. Car Rental: Can be booked using the University's Corporate Account with Enterprise.
  4. Hotels: A Purchase Order can be created to pay the hotel directly. The invoice from the hotel is needed. A Vendor Data Record Form is needed from the hotel before any check is issued. Please work with ORSP directly at least 4 weeks prior to travel to ensure the hotel can be paid for.
  5. For international travel, please obtain travel insurance

For PIs traveling more than once a month, Defensive Driving course is required (done once every 4 years): - defensive

Travel Reimbursements

Contact Post-Award

Complete Travel Claim/Employee Payment Request form in accordance with CSUEB travel policy.  International Travel requires Presidents signature.

Along with Travel Claim Form PI must provide ORSP with copies of the following: 

  1. Conference flyer/agenda,
  2. Airline receipt,
  3. Parking receipts,
  4. Taxi receipts,
  5. Hotel receipts,
  6. Car Rental receipt,
  7. Toll Receipts

Please refer to the University Travel Guidelines if you have questions:

Please note, if receipts are unavailable, a copy of your credit card statement is required. No receipt necessary for per diem – no receipt).  PIs are advised to submit Form + Receipts within four weeks of returning from travel. Trips in a previous fiscal year will not be reimbursed.  *Signed form 261 (authorization to use privately owned vehicles on state business).  This form must be completed annually.


  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share