Summary of procedures for planning an event on the CSUEB Hayward campus
NOTE: Please visit their respective websites for scheduling events at the Concord campus or the Oakland campus.
Event Schedulers willl create an event in 25Live or submit an online Reservation Request form through the Reservations office web page (see References below). Where special facilities or equipment are required for a scheduled event, the request must be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to the event. If the event is an assembly, march, or demonstration, the University Time, Place and Manner policy must be followed.
If services for the ITS department are requested, the services must be noted on the Reservation Request, or the as an attribute in the 25LiveEvent Wizard. Then the event scheduler will need to submit a Service Ticket through the ITS Service Desk
For all other resource needs, the respective service department will receive a task in 25Live for the fullfillment of the resource need.
- A list of event service departments is attached as Addendum I.
- A list of equipment provided by service departments is attached as Addendum II.
If there is a complaint about the handling of the requested services, the event scheduler will file the complaint with the responsible department and let staff in the University Scheduling office or the University Union scheduling office know about the complaint. The staff in those offices will make a note in 25Live. Any questions about this policy in general can be directed to the Director, University Scheduling.
2. Risk management
In accordance with University policies on risk management, all off-campus service providers (see Definitions below) for any CSUEB event must have all approved insurance documents on file prior to the date of the event. The link for the Risk Management department is listed below in References.
3. Confirmations and cancellations
The Reservations coordinator will confirm the availability of space on the CSUEB Hayward campus for requested events. If a specific space is requested for an event, the Reservations coordinator will use this space request as the first priority. If this location is not available, then the Reservations coordinator will inform the requestor, and provide alternative location options. Once a location is approved for an event, the Reservations coordinator will assign the location in the 25Live system, which will signal service departments to complete their tasks for the event.
If an event is to be cancelled, the requestor must cancel the event date in the 25Live system or send the cancellation notice to the Reservations coordinator, as well as the ITS contact, at least 48 hours in advance of the event. For regularly scheduled department meetings, if a meeting is to be cancelled on a specific date, the original requestor must notify the Reservations coordinator that the meeting location will be vacant on the cancelled date.
For an event that includes scheduled staff or special resources, the courtesy of one week cancellation notice is requested.
If the planning for an event had accrued any personnel, overtime, or material costs for the service department(s), those costs will be recharged back to the event scheduler's department, club or organization.
The current facilities rental rates can be found on the Reservations and Rentals web page. University departments will only be charged for personnel working after normal business hours, or for extraordinary equipment or services.
The standard hours for Facilities Management services are M-F / 7 am – 2 pm; for all other university service departments the standard hours are M-F 8 am – 5 pm. The standard hours for all departments are excluding holidays or other University mandated time off. Fees for services or equipment are under the jurisdiction of the appropriate service department(s) and requestors can contact the service department(s) for confirmation of any potential fees.
5. Appropriate use, food and alcohol, and parking
All events on the CSUEB Hayward campus must abide by the established use policies which include:
- Policy on Time, Place, and Manner of Free Expression
- Policy on Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Food and Hospitality
Links to these policies are listed on the Reservations and Rentals Reference page.
6. Posting signs to advertise events
When planning events, please be aware of and familiar with the policy that governs the posting of signs on the CSUEB campuses. Sponsoring departments shall comply with the CSUEB Posting Policy. The link to this policy islisted on the Reservations and Rentals Reference page.
Recommended options for signs
CSUEB departmental personnel who have experience planning events use two primary types of event signage:
- A-frames both wooden and plastic
- Small banners or signs on wire frames
- Larger banners with appropriate supporting structure
The CSUEB Procurement office can recommend vendors for the purchasing of signs for CSUEB events.
- CSUEB Affiliate - any CSUEB student, faculty, administrator, or staff person who plans events on the CSU East Bay Hayward campus.
- CSUEB Non-Affiliate - any person or entity who is renting a CSUEB facility for a non-CSUEB event. This includes CSUEB employees who are renting a facility for personal use or outside of job related responsibilities.
- Service Department – a business or academic department that regularly provides a service and/or equipment for requestors on the CSU East Bay Hayward campus. These departments are listed in Addendum I.
- Equipment - equipment that is provided to requestors for limited use at events on the CSU East Bay Hayward campus. A list of equipment that is generally provided for events is listed in Addendum II.
- Off-campus vendor or service provider - any vendor which is not employed by CSUEB and provides a service or product for an event on any of the CSUEB campuses. Such services include, but are not limited to: speaker, DJ, sound systems, video services, etc. All off-campus vendors must be approved by the CSUEB Procurement Office with valid vendor data on file.
A list of references can be found on the Reservations and Rentals reference page.
Addendum I - Service Departments
University Scheduling Reservations and Rentals
Online reservation request form
List of services/resources provided by Facilities Reservations and Rental
- Confirmation of location request
- Confirmation of equipment request
- Compliance check for event request
- Liasion with service departments
- Compliance with Hospitality policy
Office Telephone: 510-885-4444
List of services/resources provided by Facilities Management
- Moving Crews
- Custodial Services
- Grounds: Including litter control, marking of fields for sports events, traffic control assistance, scheduling mowing/watering. NOTE: event signage is no longer provided for events on campus.
Facilities Planning, Design and Construction
Office Telephone: 510-885-3513
List of services/resources provided by Facilities Planning
- Approval of space layout if different from any existing layouts
- Liasion for Fire Marshall approval of space layouts
Office Telephone: 510-885-4139
Environmental Health and Safety
Office Telephone: 510-885-4690
Information Technology Services
Contact: IT Service Desk
List of services/resources provided by Information Technology Services
- Microphones with speakers
- Lapel wireless microphones
- LCD Projectors
- CD player / recorder
University Parking Services
Office Telephone: 510-885-3790; website
List of services/resources provided by the University Parking Services
- Parking lot rental
- Special parking permits
- Parking fees, rules and regulations
University Police Department
Office Telephone: 510-885-3791
List of services/resources provided by the University Police Department
- Security at events
- Traffic control
Policy on Time, Place and Manner
Policy on Posting of Signs, Flyers, etc.
List of services/resources provided by the Dining Services
Food service for all events on the CSUEB campus. Aramark has the exclusive right to provide food on the CSUEB campus for both internal and external rentals. If Aramark does not accept the request for food service, another off-campus vendor may then be contacted for service. If an off-campus vendor is providing food on campus they are required by the University to show proper licenses.
Addendum II - Equipment provided by, or outside the scope of, service departments
Provided by service departments
Chairs – up to 300 if available
Fire marshall approval of space layout
Floor tarp for Gym
Lapel wireless microphones
Microphones with speakers
Security for events
Space plans for layout
Tables - 100
Traffic control for events
Outside the scope of service departments
Chairs for large groups – 300+
Event canopies and tents
Fencing to confine open spaces
Large trash dumpsters
Sound systems beyond microphones