International Admitted Student Checklist

As an admitted student, complete these steps to prepare for your enrollment at Cal State East Bay:

Requirements for All Incoming International Students

  1. Activate your NetID and set your password. A NetID is your personal Cal State East Bay identification number which gives you access to online student self-service systems like MyCSUEB and your Horizon e-mail.
  2. Submit required Admission documents to complete your application file. This includes a final official transcript with an English translation if needed, official test scores, and a record of all coursework in progress at the time of your application. To view your personal list of required items, visit MyCSUEB.
  3. Indicate Your Intent to Register. After you are accepted to Cal State East Bay, please let the Office of Admission know of your plans to attend Cal State East Bay as soon as possible so we can hold your place in the entering class. 
  4. Check your Horizon E-mail account often for important messages regarding your academic standing, classes, and fees. It is the student's responsibility to check their Horizon e-mail regularly for official university notices.
  5. Submit your Immunization Form to Student Health & Counseling Services. Complete the immunization forms enclosed in your admitted student packet or visit Student Health & Counseling Services to learn more about immunization requirements and exemptions or waiver options.
  6. For F-1 and J-1 students only: Purchase Medical Insurance. California State University, East Bay requires international students in F-1 or J-1 status to maintain health insurance that meets certain standards. You will need to provide evidence of health insurance before enrolling in classes. For more information, see the International Students Insurance Web page.
  7. Register for Placement Tests. If you have not completed the General Education requirements for math and English, you must complete the English Placement Test (EPT) and Entry Level Math Test (ELM) before enrolling in classes. Review the information enclosed in your admitted student packet or contact the Testing Office to see if you meet SAT, ACT or EAP exemption criteria.
  8. Complete the University Writing Skills Requirement if you are an upper-division transfer or graduate student by taking the required English courses or passing the Writing Skills Test (WST). Be sure to complete the UWSR during the first quarter of your junior year. Undergraduates must have completed at least 90 quarter units of baccalaureate level work (junior standing) before attempting to satisfy the UWSR. Graduate students who did not satisfy the requirement as undergraduates must take the test no later than their first quarter of attendance.
  9. Make plans to attend an Orientation. Attending the new International Student Orientation is important for all new international students. At Orientation, you will meet with academic advisors, learn about registration, review the important immigration rules that are critical to your stay in the U.S., and receive other important information to assist you in your transition to Cal State East Bay. Graduate students should also check to see if your graduate department requires you attend a departmental orientation.
  10. Check in with the Center for International Education. Be sure to check in with your immigration documents at the Center for International Education (CIE) during the first week of classes. All new F-1 and J-1 visa students should review the information on the CIE Web site to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
  11. Update your local address on MyCSUEB. If you are relocating from overseas or out of town, it is of critical importance that Cal State East Bay, and particularly staff from the Center for International Education, have access to your local address. For F-1 and J-1 students, you are required to notify Cal State East Bay with any change of address within 10 days, so the Center for International Education can update the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  12. Obtain a Photo I.D. card. Your Cal State East Bay student Photo I.D. card enables you to use campus facilities and services such as the library, computing labs, and athletics facilities. To obtain your card, visit the Library’s main Circulation Desk at the Hayward Campus, or visit the Academic Service Center lobby at the Concord Campus. Admitted students must have an activated NetID to obtain a Photo I.D. card.

Optional Items for Incoming International Students to Complete

As an international admitted student, you may want to complete these steps before enrolling in classes:

  1. Submit a Housing Application if you plan to live on campus. Living on campus is convenient and affordable and there are a variety of meal plan options. Submit your application early to secure a room.
  2. Register with the Accessibility Services Office. If you have a disability, schedule an appointment to speak with an Accessibility Services counselor regarding accommodations. Documentation of each disability is required.
  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share