There are many grant opportunities available to undergraduate and graduate students. Grants are gift assistance to students to pay educational expenses, with no obligation for monetary repayment. Some grants are based on financial need, others are based on academic achievement or merit, and some require a combination of criteria. Each grant has its own fulfillment criteria, application requirements and deadlines. 

Some of the grants available include the following:

Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant provides funds to eligible undergraduate and Teacher Credential students pursuing a first bachelor's degree or teaching credential. Pell Grants are awarded to eligible students without regard to priority filing date. The Pell Grant amount is based on your EFC and full-time enrollment for the academic school year. Pell Grant awards are reduced if you enroll in less than 12 units per quarter, including Summer.  

Federal Pell Grants
Enrollment status Full Time 3/4 Time Half Time Less than Half Time
Number of Units 12 or more units   9 - 11.99 units 6 - 8.99 units Less than 6 units

Lifetime Eligibility for Pell Grant

Regulations effective July 1, 2012 limit the receipt of a Pell Grant to a lifetime limit of up to 6 full-time years (600%). This includes community colleges, vocational schools and four year public and private universities. This limit will be tracked by the U.S. Department of Education.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants are awarded to eligible undergraduate Pell Grant recipients with exceptional need. Grant amounts are based on annual funding and priority is given to eligible full-time, first year students who apply for aid by March 2nd .

Educational Opportunity Grant (EOP)

Eligible full-time undergraduates admitted through the Educational Opportunity Program may receive EOP Grant funds. Students with EOP admission questions may contact Student Academic Services at (510) 885-3751.

State University Grants

State University Grants, for California residents, pay the mandatory state university tuition fee for eligible Cal State East Bay undergraduate, graduate and teacher credential students. The grant pays to students who are enrolled in 7 or more units. Students with other registration fee payment resources, including fee scholarships, fee waivers, Cal Grant (fees) and Vocational Rehabilitation, and students who do not pay the State University Fee are not eligible to receive SUG. Students must notify the Office of Financial Aid if registration fees are paid by any third party. Grants are based on need and annual funding, and priority is given to eligible students applying by March 2nd.

  • Undergraduate students must have completed less than 225 quarter units
  • Undergraduate transfer students must have completed less than 113 quarter units
  • Single and Multiple Subject Credential students must have completed an amount of units less that the number required for their credential. For example, a student enrolled in a 45-unit credential program may only receive SUG for up to 45 completed units
  • Master's degree students must have completed less that 125% of their required program units
  • Students pursuing second degrees or credentials may not receive SUG

Certain units, including advanced placement, international baccalaureate, military credit, and pre-baccalaureate credit and credit by examination will not count against these new SUG limits.

Cal Grants

New Cal Grant applicants must complete both the FAFSA and a Grade Point Average (GPA) Verification Form. The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) must receive GPA verifications for new Cal Grant "A" and "B" students by March 2nd. Cal Grant "A" pays the mandatory state university tuition fee for eligible undergraduates and for some teacher credential students. Cal Grant "B" provides access funds for new undergraduate recipients and subsistence plus state university fee payment for eligible continuing and some teacher credential students. Cal Grant awards are not available during Summer Quarter at CSUEB. Payment are reduced when students do not enroll full time (12 units), and are not available for lower than 6 units of enrollment.  

New Cal Grant recipients receive award notices directly from CSAC. Continuing students may receive estimated Cal Grant awards on their Financial Aid Offer Letters. These renewal awards are based on previous receipt of Cal Grant at Cal State East Bay and are subject to verification by CSAC. Please let us know if you have withdrawn from any Cal Grant program at another institution. If you received a Cal Grant at another institution, you must notify CSAC using WebGrants 4 Students (WGS). You should also notify the Office of Financial Aid at Cal State East Bay. If you are entering our teacher credential program and have a Cal Grant "A" or "B", you should contact the Office of Financial Aid for a Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program Benefits form.

Students with another registration fee payment resource, including fee scholarships, fee waivers, State University Grant,  and Vocational Rehabilitation, and students who do not pay the State University Fee are not eligible to receive fee payment from a Cal Grant. Students must notify the Office of Financial Aid if registration fees are paid by any third party.

Income and Asset Ceiling


The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant provides up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.Eligible teacher credential students may be awarded after they sign an Agreement to Serve on ED’s TEACH Grant website at  If you do not complete your service obligation, all TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education (ED), with interest charged from the date the TEACH Grant was disbursed (paid out).

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant 

A student whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Must be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant due only to having less financial need than is required to receive Pell funds, be under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share