Top NavTop NavTop Nav

Filing for Graduation

Filing for Graduation is a required step for all students wishing to graduate from Cal State East Bay, except for Credential Program students. Students who are completing a Credential program only (with no additional graduate degree programs in progress) do not need to File for Graduation. Check with your Credential Program office for additional information.

Eligibility to File for Graduation

  • Graduate students who have attempted to fulfill the University Writing Skills Requirement (UWSR) are eligible to file for graduation.
  • Undergraduate students are eligible to file for graduation if they have completed 135 of the minimum 180 units to graduate and have attempted to fulfill the University Writing Skills Requirement (UWSR).

How to File for Graduation

  1. Log in to MyCSUEB with your NetID and password. Under “Student Center ,” select the “Apply for Graduation” link and follow the prompts to select the degree and term for your graduation. Please refer to Important Dates to view the deadlines to file for graduation.
  2. Contact your major and minor departments to initiate a graduation check form, which will be completed by the department and sent to the graduation evaluations office for further review.

NOTE: After you file for graduation, the graduation filing fee will be applied to your student account.

For additional information on your next steps after you File for Graduation, view Graduation Status.

How to Update Your Graduation Application

If you will not finish your degree requirements in the quarter in which you have applied for graduation, you may update your quarter of graduation a total of three consecutive quarters. For example, if your original quarter of graduation is Fall 2012, and you discover that you will not finish your degree requirements by the end of that quarter, you may send an e-mail to the Office of the Registrar, from your Horizon e-mail account, authorizing the University to move your quarter of graduation to either Winter 2013, Spring 2013 or Summer 2013. Please keep in mind that once you move your quarter of graduation ahead, it cannot be moved back to a previous quarter if you change your mind.

Additionally, if you will not finish your degree requirements within your four consecutive quarters of degree candidacy, you must send an e-mail to, authorizing the University to cancel your graduation application. You may then reapply for graduation, but will be required to pay the filing fee again.

Students who need to update their quarter of graduation must do so at least one week prior to the assignment of next term’s enrollment appointments in order to be eligible to receive priority registration as a graduating senior or graduating graduate student. Additionally, undergraduate degree candidates must have completed 150 or more units in order to obtain graduating senior enrollment times/dates.

Requests to update your graduation term must be sent from your Horizon e-mail account to the Office of the Registrar at

Remove FERPA Block if Applicable

If you have requested a FERPA block be placed on your record to prevent disclosure of your personal directory information, your name will not be printed in the commencement program unless you request the block to be removed. For more information, please contact the Office of the Registrar at

Frequently Asked Questions

See Frequently Asked Questions for more answers about Graduation.

© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.