Top NavTop NavTop Nav

Special Program Registration Procedures

The Open University program allows for enrollment in individual Cal State East Bay undergraduate and graduate classes, on a space-available basis, without the formal University admission process. Registration is easy and the fees are assessed per unit, whether you are a California resident, out-of-state student, or international visitor. Visit Open University for more information, including enrollment fees, and the link to the online application. The application must be completed by the deadline for each term of attendance in the Open University program. Students who are matriculated in a degree program at Cal State East Bay are not permitted to take classes through Open University.

For more information and course credit limits, see the University Catalog.

Students may audit a class but not be responsible for exams or term papers. Once enrolled in a course, a student may request to attend as an auditor. An auditor pays the same fees and enjoys the same instructional privileges as a student enrolled for credit, but is not responsible for exams or term papers. Regular class attendance is expected. To audit a class, you must obtain permission from the instructor of the course and use the Request for Audit Grade Form (pdf). For complete details and policies regarding course audits, see the University Catalog

California residents who are 60 years of age and older, and are admitted as degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate students, may apply for the Over 60 Fee Waiver. If approved, the student will receive a waiver of the State University Fee, the Instructional Related Activities Fee and a partial waiver of the other registration fees to be assessed. (Current fee policy does not grant a waiver of the Education Doctorate state University fee, Open University fees, fees for Credential students, or fees for courses offered through self-supported programs such as Continuing Education).

To qualify for the Over 60 Fee Waiver, you must meet complete the following steps:

  1. Meet the appropriate University admission requirements

  2. Apply and be admitted as a California resident

  3. Submit the Over Sixty Form. Submit the form in person at the Enrollment Information Center in the Student Administration Bldg. on the Hayward Campus, or the Academic Services Center on the Concord Campus. Or you may fax the form to 510/885-3816 or mail the form at least three weeks before the beginning of the term. Mail to: Office of the Registrar, Hayward Campus, Cal State East Bay, 25800 Carlos Bee Blvd., Hayward CA 94542

Students approved for the program will received confirmation through their Horizon e-mail account, and must register no earlier than the first day of the quarter.

After you have entered the Over Sixty Program, you will be assessed the reduced fees as long as you are a continuing student at Cal State East Bay. Students in this program who have disabilities should contact the Student Disability Resource Center at (510) 885-3868 for assistance with accommodations. If you are receiving any type of financial aid, check with your financial aid advisor to ensure you are eligible for this program.

Program Suspended: Effective with fall 2018 admission Cal State East Bay is unable to accept new admission applications to the Over Sixty Program. Those students already enrolled in the Over Sixty Program, however, may continue enrollment in this program through the completion of their degree requirements and graduation. Please note that students who fail to enroll for three quarters (or 2 semesters starting fall 2018) will be discontinued and will be ineligible to apply for readmission to the Over Sixty Program, but may still reapply for regular admission to Cal State East Bay.

Students now have access to more fully online courses at another CSU. To participate in this program, you must have:

  • Completed at least one term and earned at least 12 units at East Bay as a matriculated student
  • Earned at least a 2.0 GPA at East Bay
  • Enrolled at East Bay during the period of concurrent enrollment, and
  • Paid tuition fees as a full-time student

To learn more about this program, the courses offered, and to apply, see Students should consult with an academic advisor or academic evaluator to determine if the course(s) will apply to degree requirements. One course per term is permitted as part of the CSU Fully Online Course Cross-Campus Enrollment program, and students may only select classes from another quarter campus (semester campus courses are not applicable).

CSU Concurrent Enrollment allows matriculated students in good standing to enroll at both a home CSU campus and a host CSU campus during the same term. Students interested in participating should also contact the Registrar's Office for information on eligibility requirements, limitations, and other privileges or restrictions. Participants at Cal State East Bay must submit and Application for Intrasystem Concurrent or Visitor Enrollment. Review the complete details on the application form.

Intersystem Cross Registration allows matriculated CSU, UC or community college students to take one course per term at another CSU, UC or community college. Credit earned at the host campus is reported at the student's request to the both campuses and included on the student's transcript at the home campus. Students interested in participating should also contact the Registrar's Office at the host campus for information on eligibility requirements, limitations and other privileges or restrictions. Participants at Cal State East Bay must submit a Cross Registration Application (pdf). Students planning to cross register at UC Berkeley should complete the Cross Registration Application (UC Berkeley).

Courses numbered 4900, 5900, or 6900 are Independent Study courses, above and beyond the regular offerings of a department. These are normally open only to advanced students capable of working with minimal supervision.

An Individual Study course is a regular course, listed in the Catalog, not being offered during the term in which a student must gain credit to complete a specified objective. Courses offered during the current quarter normally may not be taught on an Individual Study basis.

Courses numbered 6899 are Project courses, which are required or elective for some graduate degree programs. Courses numbered 6909 and 6910 require submission of a Departmental Theses (6909) or a University Thesis (6920). To take any of these courses, you must find an instructor who is willing and able to work with you on an individual basis.

You cannot enroll for these courses through MyCSUEB. To enroll, pay all the fees necessary to enroll at the University (including the Late Enrollment Fee, if applicable). Obtain a Special Registration Petition from the department office, secure the required signatures of approval, and return the form to the department office during the first week of classes. The Special Registration Petition and Special Registration Petition Addendum forms are also available to download and print.

Students must have their undergraduate Interdisciplinary Studies Major program fully approved before the end of the Add/Drop period in order to have the units taken this quarter apply to the requirement that at least 40 units of your major and 60 units of your degree be approved in advance. Graduate Interdisciplinary Studies majors must have their programs in the final stages of approval before applying to the university for admission to that program. Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Studies majors may send an e-mail inquiry to if you are unsure whether your interdisciplinary studies major program has reached the end of the approval process. Graduate Interdisciplinary Studies students may email the Interdisciplinary Studies Graduate Coordinator at if they have any questions about the program approval process.

A Cooperative Education course (3898 or 6898) allows eligible students to earn degree credit while working in a paid or volunteer job related to their major and/or career goal. Co-op Ed classes are not applicable to G.E. requirements.

To participate in a Co-op Ed course, you must be enrolled as a regular student in the University, have earned at least a 2.0 GPA if you are an undergraduate, and a 3.0 GPA if you are a graduate student; not be on probation; and satisfy the requirements of the academic department.

Pick up a Cooperative Education Agreement form at the Cooperative Education Office and obtain the necessary approvals. Before enrolling in the course, you must contact the Cooperative Education Office located in the Student Services and Administration (SA) Building Suite 2300 or, call (510) 885-3621, and you must have obtained a Co-op job. It is your responsibility to enroll in the Co-op course. To enroll in the course, use MyCSUEB.

Non-residents students are encouraged to meet with an advisor before enrolling in a Co-op Ed course. For more information on Co-op Ed., visit the Career Development Web site.

Some programs at Cal State East Bay have registration procedures that differ from the regular course registration. These include Open University, Auditing Classes, The Over Sixty Program, CSU Concurrent and Visitor Enrollment, Intersystem Visitor & Cross Registration, and Veterans Benefits.

© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.