Top NavTop NavTop Nav

Veteran Student Admission

Cal State East Bay is committed to offering admission opportunities to current and former members of the military for all available quarters. 

Follow the steps below to help you get started towards becoming a successful CSUEB applicant:

  1. Apply for VA benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill website.
  2. Gather your military transcripts, such as AARTS, SMART, CCAF, or DD 214 documents.
  3. Determine your benefits by consulting the ESO on your base or our Veterans Affairs office at (510) 885-3669 or
  4. Review CSUEB’s admission deadlines to learn about the next available term of entry and the dates by which admission documents are due. Cal State East Bay is able to accept applications from current and former members of the military beyond the domestic transfer application deadline. Once the published application deadline has passed, military students should e-mail for further assistance and instructions.
  5. Contact our Veterans Outreach Specialist, Marc Strong, at to receive preadmission advising and university application assistance, or simply apply online. To apply, submit an online application at, and select Undergraduate Admission Application.

Cal State East Bay’s Veteran Office, located on the Hayward campus in the Student Services and Administration (SA) Building, is dedicated to providing services to veterans interested in pursuing educational goals and applying for benefits. The University’s Veteran Affairs Coordinator is available to meet with students, answer questions, and provide direction to academic advisors who can help develop educational plans.

The Veteran Affairs Coordinator at Cal State East Bay provides advice to veterans, reservists, and dependents of service disabled or deceased veterans who are completing and filing V.A. claim forms for federal and state education assistance programs. In addition, the Veteran Affairs Coordinator can assist with special registration procedures required for students in a V.A. Fee Waiver program for dependents and disabled veterans.

All new students should speak with the Veteran Affairs Coordinator to review the requirements of the program and ensure the proper documentation is completed. Contact Cal State East Bay’s Veteran Affairs Coordinator at (510) 885-3669 or to schedule an appointment with the V.A. Office on the Hayward campus located in the Enrollment Information Center of the the Student Services and Administration Building.

The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs Education Service provides information on obtaining V.A. benefits. In most cases, the first step is to complete the V.A. application form 22-1990 and submit it to the appropriate V.A. regional office.

V.A. application forms are available on the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) site. To submit your application online, go to

Students seeking federal V.A. benefits for study at Cal State East Bay must complete a Veteran Request for Certification form each quarter. Vocational Rehabilitation students are exempt from this requirement, but must have their counselor submit the VA 28-1905 form each quarter.

The dependent child, spouse, or unmarried surviving spouses of a service-connected disabled or deceased veteran may be entitled to tuition and Cal Vet Fee Waiver benefits at any campus of the California State University system, University of California system, or California Community Colleges. To obtain eligibility requirements and assistance in applying for these benefits, please contact your local County Veteran Service Office. Forms and local office contact information is available on the California Association of County Veteran Services Officers Website at Contact Cal State East Bay’s Veteran Affairs Coordinator for more information.

Approval for benefits under the Cal Vet Fee Waiver program shall be granted on an Academic Year (AY) basis. There shall be no partial year grants of benefits. Applicants must re-apply each year to maintain entitlement. Approvals may be granted only for the current Academic Year, or the immediate upcoming Academic Year.

If you have any veterans benefits including the Cal Vet Fee Waiver, your cost of attendance at Cal State East Bay is adjusted based on your reduction of fees. In general, your monthly veteran benefits are counted as a resource in determining your financial aid eligibility. Contact a financial aid counselor at the Office of Financial Aid during your admission process for more information.

Office of Financial Aid
Enrollment Information Center, Student Services & Administration (SA) Building
California State University, East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd., Hayward, CA 94542
(510) 885-2784

A student whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Must be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant due only to having less financial need than is required to receive Pell funds, be under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death. See the Financial Aid Grants web site for more information about obtaining this grant.

Contact Us

Deborah Hansana, Veterans Affairs Coordinator

Marc Strong, Veterans Outreach Specialist

Wendy Herbert, Veterans Admission Evaluator

Stephen Faletti, Assistant Director of Financial Aid

© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.