Financial Aid


1. APLE Assumption Plan of Loans for Education

A teaching incentive program for students, out-of-state teachers and district interns to become California teachers in critical subject areas or designated schools.
More information

2. Cal Grants A, B & C

Financial aid for low- and middle-income students who have not earned a BA. Aid may be extended for a fifth year for people pursuing a teaching credential. Cal Grant A can be used for tuition and fees. Cal Grant B can be used for living expenses, books, tuition and fees. Cal Grant C can help pay for tuition and training costs at an occupational or career college.
More information

3. Cal HFA

The Extra Credit Teacher Home Purchase Program (ECTP) helps make first-time homeownership a possibility by providing a deferred-payment junior loan for down payment assistance (from $7,500-$15,000, depending on the property location, or 3% of the purchase price, whichever is greater).
More information

4. California State Teachers' Retirement System (CALSTRS)

The largest U.S. teachers' retirement fund provides defined (lifetime) benefits for service retirement, survivor benefits and disability retirement.
More information

5. CalSTRS Home Loan Program

Whether purchasing a new home, refinancing to lower payments, or taking cash out, the CalSTRS Home Loan Program offers competitive rates on a variety of mortgage loan programs.
More information

6. Community College Transfer Entitlement Award

This award is given to California community college transfer students who were not awarded Cal Grant As and Bs within a year after graduation from high school.
More information

7. Extra Credit Teacher Home Purchase

Public agencies such as cities and counties are permitted to use CDLAC tax credits or mortgage revenue bonds to support a program to recruit and retain teachers.
More information

8. FFEL Federal Family Education Loan

These are subsidized or unsubsidized loans available to either graduate or undergraduate students enrolled in at least half-time attendance at a college or university.
More information

9. FFEL Loan Forgiveness

This program is designed to encourage individuals to enter into and continue in the teaching profession. The program pays up to $5,000 after the fifth year of teaching on outstanding loan balances.
More information

10. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This program is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. This does not have to be repaid.
More information

11. Federal Work-Study

This program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need.
More information

12. Good Neighbor Next Door

Teachers can purchase HUD homes at 50% off list price in HUD designated revitalization neighborhoods. Reduced down payments are available with FHA insured mortgages.
More information

13. National Board Certification Incentive Program

An additional $20,000 is awarded to the recipient for service in low-performing schools.
More information

14. Pell Grants

This federal grant money is available to undergraduate students pursuing their first degree. Students must meet eligibility requirements.
More information

15. Perkins Loans

This is a federal loan program in which the funds you can receive depend on whether you're an undergraduate student or a graduate or professional student.
More information

16. Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program

This is a federal funded program in which scholarships are awarded solely on the basis of academic merit and may be renewed for up to four years.
More information

17. Stafford Loans

Loan limits depend on what year you are in school, whether you're a dependent student, and whether you are receiving "subsidized" or "unsubsidized" loans.
More information

18. Troops to Teachers

The program provides a link between current and prior armed service members who desire to pursue a career in education by providing counseling, financial and placement assistance.
More information

Useful websites:-

  • For financial support, contact: California Student Aid Commission

1-888-CA-GRANT (1-888-224-7268)

  • EdFund

1-877-2EDFUND (1-877-233-3863)

  • TEACH California

  • No Child Left Behind

  • CBEST Information

  • CSET Information

  • Ed-Join

  • California Commission on Teacher Credentialing

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share