Student Health & Counseling Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Jump to: Massage FAQs  |  Confidentiality FAQs  |  Insurance FAQs  |  Immunizations FAQs  |  Counseling FAQs

General FAQs

  1. Where is Student Health & Counseling Services located?

    The Student Health and Counseling Services is located on between KPE and the Library on the Hayward campus.

  2. What services are available?

    • Health Education
    • Hearing & Vision Screening
    • Immunizations
    • Laboratory
    • Massage Therapy
    • Orthopedics
    • Personal Counseling
    • Pharmacy
    • Physical Exams
    • Physical Therapy
    • Psychiatry
    • Radiology
    • Reproductive Health Services: Birth Control, HIV Testing, STI Testing & Treatment

  3. How do I become eligible to use these services?

    Current regularly enrolled students are eligible to use SHCS and their services. Students enrolled in Extended Education or Open University may use SHCS for a fee.

  4. How much do the services cost?

    Students paying the Student Health Fee, included in the University Registration Fee, receive basic health services at no additional cost. Some services such as lab tests, x-rays, and pharmacy are available for a nominal fee. Please inquire.

  5. How do I make an appointment? 

    To make appointments you can call 510-885-3735, you can come into the Health Center, or you can go onto MyPioneerHealth and make the appointment online.

  6. Are the doctors professionally licensed?

    SHCS is provides quality health care by board certified, licensed, and credentialed health care providers and counselors to our currently enrolled CSUEB students.

  7. What if I don’t know my medical history?

    When completing the Health History form, try to give us the most up to date information as possible.

  8. Is the Student Health Center open 24/7 for emergencies?

    No, but we are open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:30a-5:00p. Thursday we are open from 10:00a-5:00p.

  9. Does the Health Center have Flu shots and are they free?

    Beginning in the Fall Quarter, the Student Health and Counseling Center will offer the Flu Vaccine. Please call for the cost and the availability of appointments.

  10. What is MyPioneerHealth?

    MyPioneerHealth is a convenient way for students to make or cancel appointments online, pre-fill your health forms, and communicate with a doctor.

  11. What happens if I’m late for an appointment? Will I be charged a fee?

    If you have an appointment with the Massage Clinic, Physical Therapy, Counseling, Orthopedics or Psychiatry, you will be charged a “No Show” fee if you don’t show up to your appointment. Also, if you call to change/cancel your appointment, less than 24 hours prior to your appointment you will be charged a Late Cancel Fee of $25 ($15 for massage).

back to top


  1. Where is the massage clinic located?

    The massage clinic is located in the Recreation and Wellness Center (RAW).

  2. How do I make an appointment for massage therapy?

    You can make appointments either by calling the front desk at (510) 885-3735, or come into the Health Center and make the appointment in person.

  3. Where do I pay for my massage appointment?

    You will pay for your massage at the Front Desk of the RAW.

  4. What forms of payment are accepted for massage?

    They accept Credit Cards and Bay Bucks as forms of payment. Payment can also be made by charging to the student's financial accoount.

  5. What if I need to cancel my massage appointment?

    Please call at least 24 hours in advance to cancel your appointment. There is a $15 fee if you don’t cancel your appointment 24 hours prior to your appointment time, or if miss your appointment completely you will be charged $15.

  6. Are the massage therapists licensed professionals?


  7. Can I choose between a male or female therapist?

    Yes, we have both male and female massage therapists.

back to top


  1. Will SHCS call my parents and tell them I came to the Health Center?

    No, the SHCS will not call your parents or guardian to inform them of your visits.

  2. What if I’m under 18, can I be seen?

    You can be seen as long as a Minor Consent form is completed with a signature from a parent or guardian.


  1. Do I need insurance to be seen at SHCS?

    No, insurance is not required here at the Student Health and Counseling Center. The cost of the visit is covered by the Student Health Fee.

  2. Where can I buy insurance?

    Health insurance is available through Associated Students, Inc. and Covered California. Visit their websites for additional information.

back to top


  1. Do you have flu shots and what’s the cost?

    Yes, we have Flu Vaccines. They are usually available during the Fall Quarter; please call and ask for details.

  2. Where do I turn in my immunization requirement forms?

    You can Mail, Fax or bring them into the Health Center.

  3. Can I get the required immunizations at the health center?

    Yes, you would need to call and make an appointment.

  4. Which vaccines are available?

    • MMR
    • Hepatitis A
    • Hepatitis B
    • Varicella
    • Tetanus
    • Tdap

  5. How much do the vaccines cost?

    The cost can vary. Please call for pricing.

back to top


  1. What are the most common reasons students come to counseling for?

    Students access personal counseling services on our campus for many reasons.  Some of the common reasons students come are relationship issues, depression, anxiety, grief and loss, trauma, self esteem, worry, family issues, and others.  Anything that is impacting your ability to be in a grounded and balanced place is an issue that you can bring to personal counseling.

  2. Who are the therapists? Are they student counselors?

    Our counselors are all professional staff and they are not students.  Our licensed staff includes Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, and Licensed Clinical Psychologists.  We also employ post-master’s registered interns who are gaining hours toward licensure.  Post-master’s interns are supervised by licensed staff.

  3. What is the difference between psychiatry and counseling?

    Counseling is when a student meets with a counselor to talk about personal problems/issues/concerns and together they work on those issues in a variety of ways.  In personal counseling, a counselor often meets one on one with a client but we also provide group counseling and couples counseling.  Also, many people use the terms counseling and therapy/psychotherapy interchangeably.

    Psychiatry is meeting with a medical doctor who specializes in treating mental health issues. A psychiatrist usually evaluates a patient for medications which may be helpful.  Although you may discuss some of your personal issues with a psychiatrist, they most often refer you to counseling to talk about and work on personal issues.

  4. What is the session limit?

    Counseling Services provides brief/short term counseling services at our center and our session limit is 10 sessions per academic year.  We help you to actively work on issues or concerns in these sessions and most students find they are able to accomplish what they came to work on.  We do not provide ongoing, long term counseling/psychotherapy.  If you need ongoing counseling we can give you resources in the community. Students are welcome to continue using crisis hours 1:00pm-3:00pm daily.

back to top

Last updated: 02/27/15
  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share