- Academic Advising & Career Education
- Academic Advising
- Career Services
Graduate school is a major commitment after an undergraduate degree. It constitutes an advanced program of study (master's, Ph.D.) focused on a particular academic discipline or a specific profession. Individuals seek graduate education generally for professional advancement and so timing is crucial for this endeavor.
Listed below are links to help you locate, prepare for, and succeed in graduate school. In addition to CSUEB faculty members, who have a wealth of knowledge concerning graduate programs, the counselors in Academic Advising and Career Education can also assist you in shaping your goals and plans for postgraduate work. Please stop by or call (510) 885-3621 to make an appointment.
The California Forums for Diversity in Graduate Education
The California Forums for Diversity in Graduate Education, a consortium of public and private colleges and universities from throughout California, are designed for advanced undergraduates and master's candidates from groups currently underrepresented in doctoral-level programs. The groups include low-income and first-generation college students and especially African Americans, American Indians, Chicanos/Latinos, Filipinos, Pacific Islanders, Asian American women, and Asian American men in the arts, humanities, and letters, social and behavioral sciences, natural sciences, engineering, education, and health-related fields.
For information on specific Forums please visit the Forum website:
- U.S. Department of Education site to locate colleges/universities by region, major, name
- Grad Profiles - Graduate and Professional School Directory
- Grad Schools - Database of graduate schools, and more!
- Postsecondary Education Commission - Guide to California Colleges and Universities, public & private
- California Community College Directory
- California State University System
The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General and Subject tests are required by many academic programs (Masters and Doctoral degrees). MBA programs usually require the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). Other tests are required in other fields such as the LSAT for law school, and the MCAT for medical school.
- Commission on Teacher Credentialing - California Commission on Teacher Credentialing information (CBEST, PR AXIS, SSAT, MSAT …)
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) home page
- Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) home page
- Law School Admission Test
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) home page
GRE Note: When you register for the GRE, sign up for the free Graduate Record Exam Search Service. You will receive information from graduate and professional schools whose recruitment profile matches your qualifications and level of preparedness.
- Becker - Becker Convisor CPA Review (CPA)
- Continuing Education - CSUEB Continuing Education offers various exam preparations
- Prepmaster - LSAT Intensive Review, has a free on-line Diagnostic Exam
- Review - Various exam reviews and preparations from The Princeton Review
- San Jose State University - Offers various exam preparations, look under Continuing Education
- Kaplan - Various exam preparations, ask about an on-campus Free Practice Test, check out the Free Practice On-Line Tests
- Testing4 - Testing for the Public offers various exam preparations
Check with each graduate school's financial aid office and the Masters/Ph.D. program in each school you are applying to.
- FastWeb - Has a database 375,000+ scholarships, fellowships, grants and student loans
- Finaid - Financial aid & scholarship information + links to federal, private and other funding
- U.S. Department of Education - Department of Education's Office of Postsecondary Education has descriptions of programs offered for graduate and professional students
- Federal Student Aid for Graduate Students - Search for graduate programs, advice on decisions and application processes
- The Princeton Review - Search for graduate programs, financial issues, entrance test preparation
- LSAC - Official site of the Law School Admission Council
- My Graduate School - Access articles on topics related to preparation for graduate school and important steps in the application process
- Directory of Teaching Degree Programs - Includes over 20,000 teacher education degree and certificate programs