- Office of the President
- Current Initiatives
- Messages from the President
- CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for Students, Faculty and Staff
- Updated University Guidance on Face Coverings at Cal State East Bay
- Looking Forward to Seeing Everyone Again
- Looking forward beyond COVID-19
- CSU to require immunization against COVID-19
- If one of us, then all of us: A statement asking for grace, compassion and togetherness
- Housing Task Force Report
- Post-COVID opportunity scan
- COVID-19 One Year Later
- Establishment of Affinity-Based Student Success Centers
- Welcome to Spring 2021 Semester
- Our Role in Preserving Our Democracy
- A Greeting from President Cathy Sandeen
- Leadership Searches
- My Story My Truth
- Presidential History
- Downloadable Images
Establishment of Affinity-Based Student Success Centers
Dear campus community,
I am writing today to announce a decision that I believe has been on the minds of many of you for some time: establishing affinity-based student success centers with dedicated space on Cal State East Bay’s Hayward campus.
I sincerely appreciate the conversations, information, and formal resolutions I received identifying the need for such centers. You were clear in describing how these centers will provide appropriate student support with the goal to close equity gaps that have persisted for many of our students.
We will immediately begin planning for three centers: a Black Student Success Center, a Latinx Student Success Center, and an Undocumented Student Resource Center to open in Fall 2021. We have identified potential spaces for these centers and committed funding from university operating funds.
Based on the range of input I reviewed, with some documents going back many years, these three centers emerged as the most immediate need to support Cal State East Bay’s student success and equity mission and will be the first to be established. However, we are also exploring some modifications to the existing Diversity and Inclusion Student Center to create spaces for other affinity groups as an interim step to potentially establishing additional affinity-based student success centers in the future to further reduce equity gaps.
There are many more details for the three affinity centers to be determined. Therefore, a Planning Advisory Board--with representatives from faculty, staff, and students—will be established to inform the planning process. Updates to the campus community will be issued periodically as planning and construction progress.
Today marks my 43rd working day as your president. It is an honor and a privilege to announce these important student success and resource centers so early in my tenure here. I hope this communicates to you my strong commitment to our students and our mission.
Again, I thank you for your input and advocacy in support of these centers, and I hope you join me in looking forward to celebrating their official opening this coming fall.
With best regards,