- Office of the President
- Current Initiatives
- Leadership Searches
- Messages from the President
- With Renewed Commitment to Serve Our Black Community Members
- A Message from Interim Chancellor Jolene Koester
- Staff Salary Equity Study
- Diversity Office Update
- Near-Final Future Directions Draft for Feedback
- Evelyn Buchanan Appointed Vice President for University Advancement
- Applied Sciences Center Receives Full Donor Funding
- Myeshia Armstrong appointed Vice President for Administration & Finance
- Grand Opening of Student Success Centers on Thursday, March 17
- A message from President Sandeen regarding CSU Trustees' acceptance of Chancellor Castro's resignation
- Walt Jacobs, Ph.D., named Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Professor Enrique Salmón appointed as Cal State East Bay Inaugural Tribal Liaison
- Cal State East Bay Title IX Responsibilities to Our Community
- Cal State East Bay to return to scheduled course delivery Monday, Jan. 31
- Cal State East Bay named to #CaliforniansForAll College Corps
- Welcome to Spring Semester 2022
- Update on the Beginning of Spring 2022 Semester
- CSU to Require Vaccination Boosters
- 2021 Messages
- With gratitude, from President Sandeen
- Telecommuting program to begin January 2022
- My Story, My Truth Assessment Results
- Launching Our Future Directions Strategic Planning Initiative
- In Support of Our DACA Students
- CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for Students, Faculty and Staff
- Updated University Guidance on Face Coverings at Cal State East Bay
- Looking Forward to Seeing Everyone Again
- Looking forward beyond COVID-19
- CSU to require immunization against COVID-19
- If one of us, then all of us: A statement asking for grace, compassion and togetherness
- Housing Task Force Report
- Post-COVID opportunity scan
- COVID-19 One Year Later
- Establishment of Affinity-Based Student Success Centers
- Welcome to Spring 2021 Semester
- Our Role in Preserving Our Democracy
- A Greeting from President Cathy Sandeen
- Future Directions strategic planning
- My Story My Truth
- Fall Convocation 2021
- In the News
- Presidential History
- Downloadable Images
Walt Jacobs, Ph.D., named Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Dear Cal State East Bay community,
I am pleased to announce that Walt Jacobs, Ph.D., has accepted the position of Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at Cal State East Bay. He will begin his new post July 1, 2022.
Dr. Jacobs joins us from our neighboring CSU campus, San José State University, where he has served as the dean of the College of Social Sciences since 2015.
During the interview process, I was impressed by Dr. Jacobs’ strong commitment to student success, his collaborative approach, and his personal dedication to diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice. He has demonstrated success expanding and improving academic advising, high-impact practices, and research activities.
Prior to his arrival in California, he was the founding dean of the College of Social Sciences and Professional Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside. Earlier, Dr. Jacobs was on the faculty of the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities for 14 years, including five years as chair of the department of African American & African Studies.
He received his B.S. degree in electrical engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology, and his M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in sociology from Indiana University-Bloomington.
The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs is an extremely important role that oversees the overall academic mission for the university. Please join me in thanking these members of the search committee for their diligent efforts to recruit Dr. Jacobs to Cal State East Bay: Suzanne Espinosa (chair), Eric Fricke, Julie Glass, Denise Johnson, David Larson, Mima Maamou, Carlos Salomon, Jennifer Sherwood and Jiannan Wang.
I am grateful to Interim Provost Kimberly Greer for joining the Cal State East Bay community this last year as we transitioned back to in-person instruction. She will continue to lead Academic Affairs through the end of June.
With warm regards,
February 17, 2022