- Office of Admissions
- CSU Redirection
- Freshman Requirements
- Transfer Requirements
- Graduate Requirements
- Second Bachelor Requirements
- Veteran Admission
- Documents, Deadlines, & Important Information
- Admission Appeals
- Check Your Admission Status
- After You Apply
- After You're Accepted
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Annual Security Report
- How-To Videos
- Contact Us
Who Must Complete Early Start and Exemption Criteria
If you are a freshman starting at a CSU campus in Fall and do not meet the exemption criteria below, you must participate in the Early Start program during the summer.
Students Exempt from Early Start
The following freshmen are exempt from the Early Start Summer Program:
- Freshmen who are not residents of California (excluding AB540), including international students
- Freshmen who participate in EOP’s Summer Bridge program
- Students placed in the "Ready" pathway in either English or Math.
- Use these diagrams to determine your English pathway diagram and Math and Statistics course pathways.
- For more information about your placement contact the General Education Office.
Requesting an Exemption
Only if you have an extreme or extenuating circumstance beyond your control preventing you from completing the mandatory Early Start requirement during the summer can you petition for an exemption. Submit your petition to email@example.com. Please be sure to include your full name, NetID number, and a detailed explanation of your situation with supporting documentation if appropriate.