- Office of Admissions
- Freshman Requirements
- Transfer Requirements
- Graduate Requirements
- Returning Undergraduate Students
- Second Bachelor Requirements
- Veteran Admission
- Documents, Deadlines, & Important Information
- Admission Appeals
- Check Your Admission Status
- After You Apply
- After You're Accepted
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Annual Security Report
- How-To Videos
- Contact Us
CSU Early Start Program (ESP)
Early Start is a Smart Start!
The Early Start Program aims to better prepare new students in mathematics and English in the summer before the fall semester. The program helps prepare students academically and improves their likelihood of successfully completing a college degree.
CSU Early Start Details:
- The program takes place the summer before freshman year.
- In May, CSU campuses will provide students required to participate in Early Start instructions on how to sign up.
- Students can complete the CSU Early Start program at Cal State East Bay or at another CSU location. A listing of CSU Early Start program options at the 23 CSU campuses is posted at https://csustudentsuccess.org/course-list.
Early Start at Cal State East Bay
Freshmen admitted to Cal State East Bay who must participate in the CSU Early Start program will be notified in May. Students can complete the Early Start program at Cal State East Bay or at another CSU location. Students are encouraged to enroll at their home campus as most campuses offer online course options.
Cal State East Bay offers a two-week online experience which can be taken by students requiring additional preparation in either English or math.
Early Start Costs
The cost of one Early Start course is $191 plus a $2 campus based fee. There may also be fees for campus parking and course materials. California residents who apply for financial aid and have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $6,000 or less will automatically have the course registration waived. Course materials and parking are not covered by the waiver.
Contact the Early Start Program by phone at (510) 885-3910, Tuesday,Thursday, or Friday 8 a.m. - 11 a.m. / 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For answers to the most frequently asked questions about the Early Start Program, please see the Frequently Asked Questions page.