How to Apply for Graduate Admission | Cal State East Bay

We are thrilled that you are interested in applying to the graduate programs at Cal State East Bay. With world-class faculty and over 30 graduate programs, Cal State East Bay provides you the opportunity to advance your knowledge and skills in your area of interest. Whether you are about to finish your undergraduate degree, continuing your graduate studies, or wanting to elevate your career, you can benefit from our cutting edge graduate programs.

Graduate Application Deadlines

Submitting your application within the deadline is crucial in the admission process. Before starting your application, please make sure to note the important dates listed below for graduate admissions. All required documents and fees must be submitted before the deadlines

  • Fall Semester

Domestic students: October 1 - June 1 

All transcripts due by July 15

  • Spring Semester 

Domestic students: August 1 - November 1

All transcripts due by November 30

  • Summer Session

February 1 - April 1

All transcripts due by May 1

Some graduate programs may accept applications after the deadlines indicated above. Please contact your department or visit the department website for more information. See our graduate program directory to find your department contact.

 Admission offers must be accepted prior to the start of classes.

For international applicants, please view the International Admissions Office for submission deadlines.


Four Steps to Apply for Cal State East Bay Graduate Admission

If you meet our graduate admission requirements, you could follow the four steps listed below to complete your application. 

1. Apply to Cal State East Bay online: Applicants should submit their online application through Cal State Apply, the California State University application portal, and pay the $70 nonrefundable application fee. Applicants may not apply for more than one program or term at the same time. No application fee waivers are available to graduate students. Please note that if applying for a future term, any past due application fees are still required and must be paid prior to enrollment in classes. Make sure to save the application submission confirmation page for your records.

2. Submit official transcripts: Request official final transcripts from all colleges and universities attended be sent to Cal State East Bay’s Office of Admissions. Please include transcripts from all institutions before and after your bachelor’s degree. The Office of Admissions does not accept composite transcripts. If your graduate program also requires official transcripts, you need to send additional copies directly to your department as well.

Learn how to submit your transcripts.


For international students, CSU must assess their academic preparation. For this purpose, "international students" include those who hold U.S. temporary visas as students, exchange students, visitors, and those in other non-immigrant classifications. California residents and U.S. citizens with international transcripts are classified as "international students" for admission evaluation purposes and will be processed by the International Admissions Office. However, they pay in-state fees, provided they meet the residency requirements to be considered a California resident.

3. Apply to a graduate program: Graduate programs may require other application materials, such as letters of recommendation and resumes. Contact your academic department for individual program requirements, advising, admission terms, deadlines, and instructions on where to send departmental documents. Note that not all graduate programs accept applications for every term.

Find your department contact information.


4. Check application status: After successful completion of your application, you could go to MyCSUEB, our student portal, to check your application status. Once the application has been reviewed by both the University and the graduate program, the applicant will be notified of the admission decision via mail and MyCSUEB.


Contact the Graduate Admissions Office

Our Office of Admissions is ready and excited to help you with your application process. If you have more questions about the admission requirements, process, and deadlines, please contact or call (510) 885-3500. For questions regarding individual programs, please contact the corresponding academic department directly.

Current Students - Changing Graduate Objectives

If you are a current graduate student at Cal State East Bay and wish to change your major or apply for a dual master's degree, you could apply for a Change of Graduate Objective after your first term of attendance. Please make sure to consult with your prospective program for information about application deadlines and requirements. 

Learn more about Changing Your Graduate Objectives.

Advance Your Career - Apply to Cal State East Bay Graduate Admissions

Cal State East Bay’s graduate degrees and credential programs are a smart investment in your future. By joining our programs, not only can you increase your earning potential but also obtain marketable skills and in-depth knowledge in your field of study. Many of our alumni reached new heights in their careers with a graduate degree from CSUEB. You can too! Apply to our graduate programs today or request information by contacting or call (510) 885-3500.