Policy Guidelines for Requesting New Course Prefixes
Course Prefixes Permitted to Change
You may submit a request if the course prefix refers to the name of the degree.
- "POSC" for courses in the B.A. Political Science
- "ENGL" for courses in the B.A. English
- "MATH" for courses in the B.S. Mathematics
You may submit a request if the course prefix refers to the name of the department.
- "EPSY" for the M.A. Counseling which is located in the Department of Educational Psychology
- "MLL" for the B.A. Spanish or B.A. French in the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
You may submit a request if the course prefix refers to the name of the academic unit/area of study which has a critical mass of courses not leading to a degree in that subject area
- "SCI" for college-wide courses in Science
- "GS" for university-wide courses in General Studies
Process for Approval of New Course Prefix Request
The Department Chair originates proposal by:
- Log into Curriculog
- Select the New Proposal Link
- Select the "Courses" tab
- Select "Course - Prefix -New"
- Select the "Start Proposal" icon to begin your proposal
- Department Chair
- Dean and/or Associate Dean Office Review
- College Curriculum Committee
- Dean's Office Approval
- Consultation (Newly approved curriculum reviewed by all Department Chairs and Associate Deans. Colleges/Departments have five working days to review proposals and submit any comments within Curriculog.) If no consultation is requested, proposal proceeds to the next step.
- Academic Programs and Services (Technical Review and Director, Associate Dean or Dean approval depending on proposal)
- Committee on Instruction and Curriculum (CIC); sent to Committee on Academic Planning and Review (CAPR) as information only (if CIC approves request)
- Executive Committee of the Academic Senate (ExCom)
- Academic Senate
- University President
- University Curriculum Coordinator facilitates the completion of the proposal and addition into the catalog
Requests for new course prefixes do not need to go to CAPR but CAPR should be informed of any request that is approved by CIC before it is sent to ExCom and the Senate.
Semester Catalog Curriculum Deadlines
Academic Programs and Services deadlines are outlined in the Master Curriculum Calendar. However, college deadlines are set earlier, so please check with your College Curriculum Coordinator for college-specific curriculum submission deadlines.