Undergraduate FAQ

Grading FAQs for Summer Session 2020

There are some changes to the grading types available for Summer Session, 2020.  These changes may differ from both Fall Semester, 2019 and Spring Semester, 2020.

By default, any course that is normally A-F grading will be graded as ABC/NC.  Students may choose to have grade type CR/NC for these classes by Friday, June 12, 2020.  However, unlike Spring Semester, 2020, some majors will not accept “CR” towards the major or for satisfying prerequisites.

Students who stay with ABC/NC and would have received D+ or D will be allowed to request to receive the D+ or D, provided that the student files the request by August 31, 2020.  Courses elected as CR/NC during Summer Session, 2020 do not count towards the unit limit for CR/NC.

  • Who is my advisor?
    • You may locate your advisor by logging in to Bay Advisor.  The Student Quick Guide is located here.  If you cannot find an advisor, please contact aace@csueastbay.edu and give your NetID and major. 
  • What does CR/NC stand for?  
    • Credit/No Credit.
  • What does ABC/NC stand for?
    • ABC/NC means that any grade of D+ or lower will result in a NC grade, but grades of C- or higher are entered normally.
  • Where can I find more information about grading options?  
    • More information about grading options can be found here.
  • How does a grade of Credit or No Credit affect my GPA?
    • Credit/No Credit grades are not calculated in any of your GPAs (East Bay, Cumulative, or major)
  • How do I change my grade type?
    • You can select a different grade type for the Summer Session 2020 in MyCSUEB until Friday, June 12, 2020.  Instructions are given on p. 5, “Edit a Class” in the online registration instructions. You will have two options to choose from: 
      • ABC/No credit (NC)
      • Credit(CR)/No Credit (NC)
There is also a video that shows you how to change your grade type.
  • What are the implications of choosing a CR/NC instead of ABC/NC?
    • There could be consequences of changing from a letter grade (ABC/NC) to a CR/NC grade. If you choose CR/NC and would have received an A, you will get CR, which will not affect your GPA.  Such a change cannot be undone after Friday, June 12, 2020.  However, if you choose CR/NC and would have received a C-, you will get CR, which will not affect your GPA.  That is to say, CR represents any grade between A and C-, but will not affect your grade either positively or negatively.  You will not be able to request a letter grade after June 12.
    • Credit (CR) is assigned when you earn a grade of A to C- and it is a passing grade.  You will earn credit for the course, but it will not affect or change your GPA.
    • No Credit (NC) is reserved for D+, D, and F grades and is not considered a passing grade.  If you choose CR/NC and receive “NC,” you will need to retake the course to earn credit, but it will not affect your GPA.
    • If I choose CR/NC and earn CR for a major course, will it count?
      • For most majors, the answer is “no.”  Check with your major advisor before making this decision.
    • Does NC count as an F in my GPA?
      • No.  Credit/No Credit grades are not calculated in your GPA.
    • If I choose CR/NC and earn CR for a GE course, will it count?
      • Yes, earning a CR grade will count towards your GE graduation requirements.
    • What are the advantages to CR/NC?
      • If you select the CR/NC grade type, those grades will not be calculated in your East Bay, Cumulative or All College, or Summer Session, 2020 GPAs.  Many campuses across the nation are allowing CR/NC as an option and this lessens the likelihood of the grade choice affecting future plans.  It is highly recommended that you speak with your academic advisor to determine possible repercussions with your grade option choices.
    • What are the disadvantages to CR/NC?
      • Students who would have received a D+ or D, but chose CR/NC will receive NC.  While this does not change your GPA, it does not count for credit in GE and it also counts against your “Satisfactory Academic Progress” (SAP) for financial aid purposes.  
  • What are the advantages of ABC/NC?
    • If you get an A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, or C-, you will get that grade denoted on your transcript and they will count towards your GPA.
    • If you get a D+, D, or F, this will show as “NC” and will not adversely affect your GPA.
    • Students who would have received a D+ or D in a course that they have the ABC/NC pattern may be permitted to appeal the grade to get the D+ or D to count.  (No other appeals will be permitted.)
  • What are the disadvantages of ABC/NC?
    • Students who received a D+ or D will get a “NC” and the course will not satisfy, for example, GE requirements (A1, A2, A3, and B4 must be C- or better and are therefore unaffected).  
    • The “NC” will count against “Satisfactory Academic Progress” (SAP) for financial aid, just as is the case with CR/NC.
  • Where can I go to get help making this decision?
    • Major advisor
    • Advisors in your college advising centers
    • AACE, FAST, EOP (or other specialty program) Advisor
  • How can this change impact my Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid?
    • Failure to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards will result in Financial Aid disqualification. Undergraduate students are required to earn 67% of their attempted units (Pace of Progression), maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average, have a 2.0 grade point average upon their 2nd year of enrollment at CSU, East Bay, and complete their degree within 150% (or 180 units Maximum Time Frame) of their program's published time frame. While earning a CR will not have a negative effect on your SAP,  Earning an NC may impact the calculation of your Pace of Progression and Maximum Time Frame.  For example, if you take 12 units and receive a NC on 4 units of coursework, you will have attempted 12 units but only earned 8 units for the semester. 

For more information about our Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards, please click on the following link: https://www.csueastbay.edu/financialaid/current-students1/get-and-keep-your-aid.html

For questions, please email the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at finaid@csueastbay.edu.

Possible implications of selecting CR/NC or ABC/NC as your grade type:

  • Financial Aid
    • No Credit (NC) grades: 
      • Count as a 0 in earned credit, much like an F would, even if you earned a D or D+ in the course.  
      • Do not lower your GPA, unlike a D or an F.
    • Credit (CR) grades:
      • Units count as earned credit.
      • Do not count in any way towards your GPA.
    • The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy requires that students earn 67% of all of their attempted units, maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA (3.0 for graduate students), have a 2.0 GPA.

So, which should I choose?

  • In summary, the decision will be based upon:
    • Whether or not the course is a major course.  If the course is a major requirement, you should take the course ABC/NC.
    • The grade you think you will get in the class.
    • How it will affect your GPA.  For example, if it will raise your GPA, we recommend that you stay with ABC/NC.
    • Keep in mind that F or WU grades will be recorded as “NC,” regardless of your choice of grade type.