You may qualify for CalFresh if you answer “yes” to questions 2 and 3 below:
- Determining household size
- Household is defined as a person living alone or a group of people living together (they do not have to be related) who buy food and make meals together
- Is your household’s GROSS monthly income (before taxes and deductions) within the limits in the chart below?
|People in Household
||Gross Monthly Income
||Maximum CalFresh Allotment*
Household = a person living alone or a group of people living together (they do not have to be related) who buy food and make meals together. *Minimum amount is $16/month
*These income guidelines are effective October 1, 2016 through September 30, 2017, and are updated every October.
*Individuals receiving SSI/SSP in California are not eligible for CalFresh, but other members of the household may be.
- Does anyone in your household have a social security card or is anyone in your household a lawful permanent resident?
If you are a student between the ages of 18 and 49, enrolled in at least 6 units, have no meal plan (or have a meal plan that provides ten or less of your meals/week), you must also meet any ONE of the following:
- Working and getting paid for an average of 20 hours per week OR a total of 80 hours a month
- Approved for federal or state work study and anticipating work during the school term (can still be eligible even if not working a work study job)
- Be enrolled in EOPS or WIOA programs
- Be exerting parental control over a dependent household member under the age of 6
- Be exerting parental control over a dependent household member between the age of 6 and 12 with no adequate childcare (as determined by the county on a case-by-case basis)
- Be a single parent of a dependent household member under the age of 12 AND enrolled full-time (at least 12 units)
- Participating in the CalFresh Employment and Training Program (CFET)
- Be a recipient of CalWorks or AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children)
Other things to consider:
- Unpaid internships or volunteer work do not count towards the work requirement
- Students who live with their parents must be 22 years of age or older to apply as an individual household
- International, DACA, and DREAM students may not be eligible, even with a work VISA/SSN
- Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) may be eligible
- Students with a state certified disability only need to meet basic eligibility
If you think you are eligible or are still not sure, please click here to begin the application process with our CalFresh Outreach Team
Does anyone in the household have a child 0-5 years of age? How to Apply
You can also find out more information