- College of Business & Economics
- 50th Anniversary
- CBE Welcome Day
- About CBE
- Academic & Degree Programs
- Faculty and Staff
Starting from 5 business classes, the College of Business & Economics has expanded into undergraduate and graduate programs in the Bay Area and worldwide.
Pictured: Original faculty from the Division of Business & Economics in the 1960's. Left to Right: Hugh Elliott, Harry Buttimer, Forrest Mayer, Virgil Salera (Division Head), and Robert Ozaki.
A Lasting Legacy Since 1970
- 1959- Division of Business & Economics is established, offering majors in Business Administration, Business Education, and Economics.
- 1963-Classes were first held at Sunset Elementary School and Hayward High School, then moved to the Hayward campus and were housed in the Music Building.
- 1966- Delta Sigma Pi, Zeta Tau Chapter is founded.
- 1970- School of Business & Economics is established.
- 1973-2003- Jay Tontz becomes dean and serves for 30 years.
- 1973- College of Business & Economics becomes AACSB accredited.
- 1979- The Epsilon Psi Chapter of Beta Alpha Psi is founded.
- 1992- The Concord satellite campus is opened.
- 1993- International graduate programs are formed in Moscow, Vienna, Hong Kong, and Beijing, the first nationally accredited American MBA programs.
- 2000- The MBA program is established in Singapore.
- 2004- The East Bay Small Business Development Center is established out of the Oakland Professional Center.
- 2006- The Valley Business & Technology Center is opened, the first new building on campus for 30 years. A new era in business education giving students the edge they need to compete in a modern business environment.
- Online BSBA program is established.
2010's to Today
- 2009- Online BSBA becomes the first online business program to be AACSB accredited.
- Programs established: Online BSBA, 1-Year MBA, MBA for Global Innovators, MS Accountancy.
- 2018- Dean Low hosts a CBE alumnus for a conversation about entrepreneurship and leadership at the first Dean's Network.
We want to hear from you.
SHARE YOUR STORY
Do you have a story that demonstrates CBE’s tradition of transformation? Let us know.
SHARE YOUR THANKS
Did a professor, staff member, student or other community member help you finish college or clarify your goals? Give thanks.