Top NavTop NavTop Nav

Withdrawals and Academic Petitions


Students may withdraw from a class or the University in instances of serious health or personal problems beyond your control. You cannot drop a class or classes after the end of the Add/Drop period, but you can withdraw beginning the third week of classes, but prior to the seventh week deadline. Withdrawal refers to official termination of enrollment in a class after the Add/Drop period. See the Important Dates web page for more information.

If you are receiving financial aid, be sure to consult with a counselor in the Office of Financial Aid as some types of aid must be repaid in the event of a withdrawal.

IMPORTANT: To understand your options and the impacts of withdrawal, carefully read the University catalog section on "Withdrawing From a Course" as well as the supporting information listed on this page.

The Withdrawal procedure listed below is for students wishing to withdraw from state-supported undergraduate courses in the College of Business & Economics ONLY. Undergraduate courses that are part of the Online Business Degree Program (self-supported courses, sections 20SS or 21SS) should be directed to the Online Business Degree Program Office in VBT 358, 364 and 365. They can also be contacted at (510) 885-3376 or

  • Carefully review the University’s Withdrawal Policy before starting the Withdrawal process.
  • Download the CSUEB Withdrawal Form or pick up a form on the first floor of the Valley Business & Technology building outside of VBT 129 or in the Enrollment Information Center in the Student Administration Building.
  • Read the instructions carefully and completely before you begin filling out the form.
  • Fill out the your student information: Name, Net ID and Phone Number.
  • Verify that you have not exceeded the 18 semester unit limit on MyCSUEB.
    • Upon signing onto to MyCSUEB go to your Student Center. In your Student Center, click on the dropdown "Other Academic" to find "Withdrawals/Repeats". Click on the blue button to review your withdrawal unit limits and usage.
  • Check all the appropriate boxes for term, type of withdrawal, and visa status.
  • Fill out your reason for the withdrawal.
  • Fill out the information for the courses that you wish to withdraw from. withdrawal form
  • Verify that you have provided the correct information and sign the form.
  • Bring the filled out form to the instructor of each course that you have listed to obtain their signature approval. 
    • If you are unable to reach the instructor in-person, an email from the instructor's '' email account stating their approval will be accepted. Use your CSUEB Horizon email account to contact the instructor, include your full information, and all of the correct course information.
    • Students on a F1 or J1 visa must obtain approval from the Center for International Education (CIE).
  • Bring the form with instructor signature or email approval to the College of Business & Economics Office of Undergraduate Advising in VBT 129 to obtain the department stamp for only your CBE undergraduate courses. 
    • If you are unable to visit the office in-person, you may email the form with instructor signature or email approval to or fax it to (510) 885-2054.
    • The staff will provide the department stamp and return the form to you for submission to the Office of the Registrar.
    • If you are withdrawing from non-CBE courses, you will need to obtain the department stamp from the department in which the course resides. 
  • Submit completed form to the Enrollment Information Center in the Student Administration Building or to the Academic Services Lobby on the Concord campus.
  • Students may also submit the form to the Office of the Registrar via fax to (510) 885-3614 or via email to
  • If the withdrawal is approved, the class will appear on your record with a grade of "W".
  • Forms received after the listed deadline for the term or incomplete forms (missing signatures or department stamps) will not be processed.
© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.