Degree Requirements


What are the components of a Bachelor’s degree?

  • Minimum 120 units (40 in upper-division) & 2.0 cumulative GPA required for the degree
  • Major requirements (specified classes & 2.0 GPA)
  • General education requirements (Areas A-G)
  • University requirements (Code/American Institutions, A4/second composition, overlays)
  • Electives (if need to meet the 120 unit minimum for the degree)

How and where can you find relevant requirements?

All university and academic program requirements are listed in the general catalog, which is updated on yearly basis. Typically, it will default to the most current year to reflect updated policies and regulations. However, for the purpose of tracking your university, general education, and major requirements students may need to access an archived version that applies to their situation—that is, the year they began their academic career and/or declared their major of preference. You may access the university general catalog by completing the following steps:

  • Access the general catalog
  • Select relevant catalog year
  • Use the search box to find your major
  • Alternatively, you may also find your major by college, department, or degree type
  • To review undergraduate degree requirements, you may navigate to undergraduate information and select “Requirements, Exams, and Testing”

How can you track your progress toward degree?

One of the most convenient ways for students to track their progress toward degree is to regularly access and consult their degree audit report (DAR). Your personalized DAR is an official record based on the requirements of the general catalog for the year during which you began your academic career. You may access your DAR by completing the following steps:

  • Login into MyCSUEB
  • Proceed to Student Center
  • Under the “Academics” tab select Degree Audit Report (DAR) and proceed
  • Your DAR will reflect the declared major, graduation status, and academic standing
  • Scroll through the entire DAR to determine the requirements you have already completed and those to be taken in the future terms (your advisor will be able to assist you with this step, if needed).

What is academic standing?

At the end of each term students receive an academic standing based on their cumulative GPA. So long as a student is able to maintain a GPA of 2.0 or above, they will be in “good academic standing.” Those with a cumulative GPA below 2.0 are placed on academic probation which may result in disqualification if not improved within one semester. Note: Freshmen on academic probation are allowed a second consecutive semester of probation if their term GPA is between 1.5-1.99.

What are the recommendations for students on academic probation?

  • Schedule an initial appointment with a Pioneer Success Coach to address your situation
  • Discuss any obstacles and challenges that may be affecting your academic progress to degree
  • Develop a personalized recovery plan, accounting for grade forgiveness opportunities
  • Repeat all courses in which a grade of C- or higher is required, but has not been earned
  • Contact and connect with relevant campus units completing necessary actions items
  • Report back to your Pioneer Success Coach to keep them up-to-date

If an extenuating circumstance occurred, a student may submit a late withdrawal petition request. All undergraduate students are eligible for up to 18 withdrawal units that will not affect their GPA and up to 16 units of grade forgiveness.

NOTE: if student is able to provide medical documentation, the withdrawal units will not count against them.