CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, EAST BAY
FACULTY EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
OAA Position No. 20-21 CS-GENERAL-TT
THE UNIVERSITY: California State University, East Bay (Cal State East Bay) is a comprehensive university serving the San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley. It is known for award-winning programs, expert instruction, its diverse student body, and a choice of more than 100 career-focused fields of study. With an enrollment of approximately 15,000 students and 900 faculty, Cal State East Bay is organized into four colleges. The University offers bachelor’s degrees in 49 fields, minors in 52 fields, master’s degrees in 34 fields, 16 credentials programs, 18 certificate options, and 1 doctoral degree program, http://www20.csueastbay.edu/
Cal State East Bay has a mission to support a diverse student body through academically rich and culturally relevant learning experiences. The successful candidate will bring with them expertise or openness to creating a welcoming and supportive environment for all students.
THE STUDENTS: California State University, East Bay has a very diverse student body of about 13,000 students, ranking 3rd in Campus Ethnic Diversity among Western Regional Universities, according to US News and World Report.
THE DEPARTMENT: The Department of Computer Science has 13 full-time faculty members, with a wide range of backgrounds and interests. The faculty is committed to teaching its undergraduate and Master’s level students. In a typical semester, the Department will offer over 30 undergraduate and about 20 graduate classes. Classes are offered both in day and evening. Classes are generally small, with many opportunities for faculty-student contact. The Department offers a variety of degrees: B.S. in Computer Science (with possible options in Networking and Data Communications, Software Engineering, or Computer Engineering), and M.S. in both Computer Science and Computer Networks. Currently, there are more than 400 undergraduate majors and over 250 students in the M.S. programs.
DUTIES OF THE POSITION (2 positions currently available): Teaching courses at B.S. and M.S. levels, curriculum development at both levels, and sustaining a research program. Please note that teaching assignments at California State University, East Bay include courses at the Hayward, Concord and Online campuses. In addition to teaching, all faculty have advising responsibilities, assist the department with administrative and/or committee work, and are expected to assume campus-wide committee responsibilities. The ideal candidate for this position can:
- Engage with a diverse student body. This diversity includes ethnicity, country of origin, educational background – many are the first in their family to attend college, and age, to name a few.
- Teach a wide range of computer science courses including most or all of the core subject matter at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Support offerings for undergraduate C.S. students including teaching courses, developing the undergraduate curriculum, and engaging undergraduate students in research.
- Support offerings for graduate C.S. students including teaching courses, guiding M.S. theses and projects, managing the graduate capstone course
- Advise Computer Science students.
- Participate in departmental activities such as curriculum development, assessment, outreach, etc.
- Develop and continue ongoing research activities, service and leadership.
RANK AND SALARY: Assistant Professor. Salary is dependent upon educational preparation and experience. Subject to budgetary authorization.
DATE OF APPOINTMENT: Fall Semester, 2020