- Campus Directories
- Find People
- Administrative Divisions & Departments
- A-Z Index
- Colleges & Departments
- Faculty Profiles
- Emergency Numbers
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE/OFF-CAMPUS CRISIS REFERRAL
- POLICY REGARDING THE USE OF CAMPUS TELEPHONES
Nolan Higdon Faculty Profile
Dr. Nolan Higdon is an author and university lecturer of history and media studies. Higdon’s areas of concentration include digital culture, news media history, and critical media literacy. Higdon is a founding member of the Critical Media Literacy Conference of the Americas. He sits on the boards of the Action Coalition for Media Education (ACME) and Northwest Alliance For Alternative Media And Education. His most recent publication is The Anatomy of Fake News: A Critical News Literacy Education (University of California Press, 2020). He is a longtime contributor to Project Censored’s annual book, Censored. In addition, he has been a contributor to Truthout and Counter-Punch; and a source of expertise for The New York Times, San Francisco Chronicle, and numerous television news outlets.
|Course #||Sec||Course Title||Days||From||To||Location||Campus|
|COMM 202||01||Communication, Media, Culture||ARR||WEB-ASYNCH||Online Campus|
|COMM 326||01||Social Media & Social Change||TTH||1:15PM||2:55PM||WEB-SYNCH||Online Campus|
|COMM 461||01||Popular Culture||TTH||3:15PM||4:55PM||WEB-SYNCH||Online Campus|
|COMM 498||05||Internship||ARR||WEB-ASYNCH||Online Campus|
|HIST 488||01||Education and Amer Democracy||ARR||WEB-ASYNCH||Online Campus|
- Published Books
- The Anatomy of Fake News: Critical News Literacy Education, University of California Press, 2020.
- United States of Distraction Media Manipulation in Post-Truth America (And What We Can Do About It). City Lights Publishing, 2019.
- Books In Press
- Let’s Agree to Disagree: A Critical Thinking Guide to Communication, Conflict Management, and Critical Media Literacy, co-authored with Mickey Huff, Routledge Press, 2021.
- The Podcasters’ Dilemma: Podcasts as Spaces of Decolonization co-authored with Nicholas Baham III, Wiley Press, 2021.
- Edited Volume In Process
- Robin Andersen, Nolan Higdon, & Steve Macek, Censorship, Digital Media and the Global Crackdown on Freedom of Expression, 2022.
- Book Chapters in Process
- ‘Returning to Neoliberal Normalcy: Analysis of Legacy News Media’s Coverage of the Biden Presidency’s First 100 Days,” co-authored with Emil Marmol and Mickey Huff, In Robert Gutsche Jr. (ed), The Future of the Presidency, Journalism, and Democracy: After Trump, (London: Routledge, 2021).
- “The Fake News Crusaders: Exploring The People and Practices That Spread Fake News While Working To Fight It,” Pinelopi Troullinou (ed), Yet to be titled, (European Union and Trilateral Research, 2021).
- “The Delusion of Power: Investigating The Myth Of Social Media User Power In The Age Of Big-Tech Censorship,” in Robin Andersen, Nolan Higdon, & Steve Macek, Censorship, Digital Media and the Global Crackdown on Freedom of Expression, 2022.
- Published Journal Articles
- “Time to put your marketing cap on: Mapping digital corporate media curriculum in the age of surveillance capitalism,” co-authored with Allison Butler, Review of Education Pedagogy and Cultural Studies,
- “Today’s Fake News is Tomorrow’s Fake History,” co-author Mickey Huff, Secrecy and Society Journal, 2, No. 2, 2021.
- “What is Fake News?: A Foundational Question for Developing Effective Critical News Literacy Education.” Democratic Communiqué, 29, No. 1, April 2020.
- "Rallying Over Balloting: The Origins of Millennial Activism." Journal of Critical Thought and Praxis8, no. 1 (2019): 3.
- Journal Articles in Press
- “The Critical Effect: Exploring The Influence Of Critical Media Literacy Pedagogy On College Students’ Social Media Behaviors and Attitudes,” The Journal of Media Literacy Education. 2021
- “Curricular similarities and differences between critical and acritical media literacy: Supporting teachers’ classroom inclusion,” co-authored with Allison Butler and D. Swerzenski, Democratic Communique, 2021.
- Journal Articles Under Review
- “The Other Populist Media: Examining Prog-Left Media,” Co-authored with Jen Lyons, Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly
- Journal Articles in Process
- “Fake News is Racist: Mapping Culturally Relevant Approaches to Critical News Literacy Pedagogy.” Co-authored with Allison Butler, expected completion date, 2021.
- Published Book Reviews
- “Book Review: Matt Potolsky, The National Security Sublime: On the Aesthetics of Government Secrecy, (Routledge, 2019),”Journal Of Secrecy And Society, 2, No. 2, 2021.
- “Book Review: Cindy Otis, True or False: A CIA Analyst’s Guide to Spotting Fake News, (New York, New York: Feiwel and Friends, 2020). Democratic Communiqué, 29, No. 2, 2021.
- Book Reviews in Press
- “Book Review: Renee Hobbs’ Mind Over Media, Propaganda Education for a Digital Age(New York, New York: W.W. Norton and Company.). Education Review,
- “Effective Critical Media Literacy Pedagogy in Higher Education: Turning Social Justice Theory into Practice,” doctoral dissertation, San Francisco State University, 2017
- "The Politics of Desertion," master’s thesis, San Diego State University, 2012.
- “A Historical Analysis and a Snapshot of Attitudes and Behaviors in the United States” American Psychological Association, 2021
- “The Other Populist Media,” Union for Democratic Communication,
- “Fake News Is Only the Beginning: Critical Media Literacy in Your Classroom,” National Council of Teachers of English, Denver, CO, 2020.
- “Time to Put Your Marketing Cap On: Mapping Corporate Media Literacy,” Critical Media Literacy Conference of the Americas, Virtual, 2020.
- “Fake News Is Only the Beginning: Critical Media Literacy in Your Classroom,” National Council of Teachers of English, Baltimore, MD, 2019
- “United States of Distraction,” Union for Democratic Communication, Hayward, CA, 2019.
- “Critical Versus Acritical Media Literacy Curriculum: The Ideological Debate Over Corporate Influence in The Classroom—,” Union for Democratic Communication, Hayward, CA, 2019.
- “In Pod We Trust: The Podcaster Predicament (Decolonization and Digital Colonization),” Union for Democratic Communication, Hayward, CA, 2019.
- “The Anatomy of Fake News,” Journalism Association of Community Colleges, Sacramento, CA, 2019.
- “The Anatomy of Fake News,” International Critical Media Literacy Conference, Savannah, GA, 2019.
- “Today’s Fake News is Tomorrow’s Fake History,” Howard Zinn Book Fair, San Francisco, CA, 2018.
- “Fake-News”: The Trojan Horse for Silencing Alternative News and Reestablishing Corporate News Dominance,” Media Freedom Foundation Summit 2.0, Kentfield, CA, 2018.
- “Fighting Fake News”, Third International Conference on Communication & Media Studies, University of California, Berkeley, 2018.
- “News and Media Censorship: Project Censored’s Top 25 Censored Stories,” Association of Alternative News Media, San Diego, CA, 2018.
- “Fighting Fake News: Critical Media Literacy in Professional Development,” Union for Democratic Communications, Chicago, IL, 2018.
- “Critical Media Literacy Pedagogy Across The Curriculum,” International Critical Media Literacy Conference, Savannah, GA, 2018.
- “Effective Critical Media Literacy Pedagogy In Higher Education: Turning Social Justice Theory Into Practice,” Critical Media Literacy Conference, Savannah, GA, 2017.
- “Power Dynamics And Problem Solving: Engaging Both To Explore Civic And Community Engagement,” Media Freedom Summit, Cotati, CA, 2016.
- “Effective Critical Media Literacy Pedagogy: Turning Social Justice Theory into Practice,” Unionfor Democratic Communications Conference: Troubled Waters, Detroit, Michigan, 2016.
- “A Teachable Moment: Social Justice Pedagogy in a Post-9/11 World,” 9/11 Film Festival, Oakland, CA, 2016
- “What Can Community Colleges and Four-Year Institutions Teach Each Other About Social Justice?,” National Conference on Race and Ethnicity (NCORE), San Francisco, CA, 2016
- “Social Justice Pedagogy in The Digital Age,” Action In Media Education Summit, Fairfield, CT,2016
- “Effective Critical Media Literacy Pedagogy in Higher Education,” Leadership in Equity, Achievement, and Praxis Colloquium, San Francisco State University, 2016
- “Global Critical Media Literacy Project,” English Council Of California Two-Year Colleges Conference, San Jose, CA 2015
- “Re-Inventing Media and Systems That Serve Communities and those who live and work thereby Creating Systems that Empower Potential,” What’s Possible Conference, San Francisco, CA, 2015
- “Media Education and News 2.0: Solutions for the Digital Generation,” Union for Democratic Communications: Circuits of Struggle Conference, University of Toronto, 2015
- “An Expert Educational Panel on The Drug War,” Students for Sensible Drug Policy Club, University of California, Davis, CA, 2015
- “Muzzling Investigative Work,” Holding Power to Account Conference, University of Winnipeg, 2014
- “Screening and Q&A of Project Censored” Law and Disorder Conference, Portland State University, 2014
Grants and Certificates
® Travel Fund Recipient, San Francisco State University, 2017
® Quality of Teaching and Learning (QOLT) Certification for Online and Hybrid Courses, California State University East Bay, 2016
® Online & Hybrid Course Quality Transformation Grant recipient, California State University East Bay, 2016
® Faculty Development Fund Recipient, California State University Maritime Academy, 2016
® Quarter To Semester Course Conversion Grant Recipient, CSU East Bay, 2015
® Faculty Development Fund Recipient, Diablo Valley College, 2015