Office of Faculty Development and Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching
- The faculty development directors from each campus form the CSU Faculty Development Council (FDC; http://www.calstate.edu/itl/FacDevCoun.shtml). The FDC generally meets twice a year (in the fall and again in early summer) and has a mutually supportive listserv and array of officers. Contact Marian Sherman (firstname.lastname@example.org) of the Faculty Center for Professional Development at Cal Poly Pomona to update the listserv.
- The CSU Institute for Teaching and Learning (ITL; http://www.calstate.edu/itl) has a website with program announcements, grant announcements and info, and links to all the faculty development web sites in the system. ITL publishes Exchanges: The On-line Journal of Teaching and Learning in the CSU (http://www.exchangesjournal.org), and we’re always looking for manuscripts from CSU colleagues who want to publish articles on scholarship of teaching projects, innovative teaching experiences, viewpoints, book reviews, and so forth. ITL has in previous years offered grant support for multi-campus faculty development initiatives (see the links at http://www.calstate.edu/itl/). ITL also manages the CSU student learning outcomes assessment site (http://www.calstate.edu/acadaff/sloa/index.shtml) with information on assessment-related activities throughout the system.
- The CSU publishes an online newsletter (http://www.calstate.edu/CSULeader) to help you keep current on CSU happenings. You can add your name to the distribution list.
- CSU colleagues who are actively engaged in assessment have a mutually supportive listserv. See http://www.calstate.edu/acadaff/sloa/contacts.shtml for the list of assessment contacts. Campus assessment leaders generally meet twice a year.
- ITLnet (http://www.calstate.edu/itl/ITLNET.shtml) is the forum through which ITL announcements calls for proposals, new programs, and new publications in Exchanges. Calls for volunteers to review books are also issued through ITLnet.
- The CSU service-learning website [http://www.calstate.edu/csl] has a lot of information, and you can sign up for their free monthly newsletter at http://www.calstate.edu/csl/resources/CSU_Impact
- Many other websites might be useful to you, and you will see a great variety linked to the various CSU faculty development sites. Here are a few, just to give you a flavor of the kinds of resources that are available online: Ted Panitz’s website: [http://home.capecod.net/~tpanitz], the Active Learning site [http://www.active-learning-site.com], the Network for Cooperative Learning site [http://www.csudh.edu/SOE/cl_network], Nutshell Notes [http://www.cudenver.edu/OTE/nn/index.htm], Low Threshold Applications & Activities [http://www.tltgroup.org/LTAs/Home.htm], and the Carnegie Perspectives [http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/perspectives/index.htm].