Apply for aid

Step 1:  Apply for admission to Cal State East Bay

Step 2:  Complete your Pioneer Scholarship Application before January 31

Step 3:  Complete your FAFSA/Dream Application before March 2

Step 4:  Award letters will be sent early March via email

Step 5:  Submit any outstanding documents shown on your MyCSUEB To-Do List as soon as possible

Completing the FAFSA is the single most important step in getting financial aid.  You will need to do this every year to continue to receive aid.  

Once the FAFSA has been completed, the information is processed by the Department of Education and a Student Aid Report (SAR) is sent to the school(s) of your choice.  When our office receives your SAR, we will be able to offer financial aid awards based on your financial information included on your FAFSA.  

To apply go to: 

  • Be a citizen or eligible noncitizen of the United States.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number. (Students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau are exempt from this requirement.)
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or have completed homeschooling. Go to for additional information.
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan.
  • Register (or already be registered) with the Selective Service System, if you are a male and not currently on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces. (Students from the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands and the Republic of Palau are exempt from registering; see for more information.)
  • Not have a conviction for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, work-study, or loans). If you have such a conviction, you must complete the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet to determine if you are eligible for aid or partially eligible for aid.

The FAFSA application is only good for one academic year (Fall - Summer).  Depending on when you will want to receive financial aid will determine which FAFSA application you need to submit.    

The chart below provides the new key dates for current and prospective Cal State East Bay students:

FAFSA Timeline
If you need financial aid for Submit this FAFSA You can submit the FAFSA from Use income and tax data from
Fall 2019 - Summer 2020 2019 - 2020 October 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020 2017
Fall 2020 - Summer 2021 2020 - 2021 October 1, 2020 - June 30, 2021 2018
If you do not meet the citizenship eligibility requirements to complete a FAFSA, please refer to the Dreamers section to see if you meet eligibility requirements for the California Dream Application.