Top NavTop NavTop Nav


Questions About GE and Graduation Requirements for Semester Conversion

Q: How can students change their GE/Graduation Requirements Catalog?

A: Use the Request to Update GE Catalog Year form to make this change will be available after June 1, 2018 at the Office of General Education (SA 1500), AACE (SA 2nd floor), and the College Advising Centers. Consistent with the policy 17-18 CIC 17, eligible students have until the first day of Fall Semester, 2020 to make this change.

Q: If a student elects to use the semester catalog for their GE/graduation requirements, how does that affect their major requirements?

A: It does not have to affect their major. Students may use different catalogs for their major and GE/graduation requirements. (There will be a statement about this in the official catalog, published July 2, 2018.)

Q: Should students use the quarter or semester catalog for graduation requirements?

A: Each situation is different and speaking with the major advisor is a particularly good idea to fully understand the impact of the decision. There are additional questions and answers below that might influence the decision.

Q: What if the student makes the wrong choice?

A: According to Title 5 (Section 40401) , for major requirements, students may use the Catalog from the time they declare their major, the time they entered CSUEB (if that is after they declared their major), or their time of graduation, provided that they have continuous enrollment at a California community college or a CSU campus. Declaring the 2018-9 Catalog does not relinquish those rights. So, if it turns out that the student could graduate had they not switched, they can revert back to their quarter catalog provided that they have continuous enrollment at a California community college or a CSU campus.

Q: What are the differences between quarter GE/graduation requirements and semester GE/graduation requirements?

A: For a summary of the main differences between the GE and graduation requirements between quarters (before Fall 2018) and semesters (from Fall 2018), click .

Q: How can a student satisfy Area B5 in semesters?

A: In the General Education Chapter of the Gamma Catalog, there is a section about satisfying quarter GE requirements. B5 may be satisfied by taking an additional B1 or B2 class (i.e., beyond the ones already used to satisfy B1 or B2) or by taking a class equivalent to a quarter-based B5 class, including BIOL 271, CHEM 112, PHYS 126, and PHYS 136.

Q: How can a student satisfy Area F when we move to semesters?

A: Consistent with 16-17 CIC 69, students may take courses that were approved for C3 (though that area was disbanded by the Chancellor’s Office) or take a course equivalent to a quarter Area F course. There is a list of the former C3 courses in the General Education Chapter of the Gamma Catalog.

Q: Can a student use Area F classes to satisfy part of area C if they change to the semester catalog for graduation requirements?

A: No. 16-17 CIC 69 provides for some semester courses to count towards quarter requirements, but not vice-versa. (Area F courses are generally skills-based and Executive Order 1100 explicitly states that skills-based courses cannot be used for Area C.)

Q: How does the Diversity Overlay under semesters relate to the Cultural Groups and Women (CGW) Overlay under quarters?

A: Consistent with 16-17 CIC 69, they are interchangeable. That is, a student who took a CGW class under quarters can use that course to satisfy Diversity if they use the semester graduation requirements. Conversely, a student who retains the quarter graduation requirements catalog may use a Diversity Overlay course to satisfy their CGW requirement.

Q: If a student needs to complete the quarter-based CGW requirement in semesters, will they be able to take a semester course that double-counts for both CGW and GE credit?

A; Students have been allowed to double-count CGW with GE under quarters. That will persist under semesters. As noted in the previous question, a student who takes a Diversity Overlay class under semesters will satisfy the quarter-based CGW requirement.

Q: How does quarter-based Area G relate to semester-based Area E?

A: Our quarter-based Area G has supplanted Area E for first-time freshmen (sometimes called “native students”) at CSUEB. If the student satisfied Area G, but opts for the semester graduation requirements catalog, their Area E will be satisfied.

Q: Can major courses double-count for General Education credit under the semester catalog, even if they were taken under quarters?

A: Yes, but only If the student uses the semester GE/graduation requirements catalog. (The major catalog does not matter.) In order to be double-counted for GE, a major course must be GE certified. However, if the course was not approved for GE when it was taken, it does not count for GE regardless of the requirements catalog.

Q: Can “Code” classes double-count for GE credit?

A: Under the quarter catalog, American Institutions (“Code”) courses were not approved for GE. In the Gamma Catalog, it is noted that one Code class taken at CSUEB, if also approved for GE, may double-count. (If a student takes a Code class at CSUEB and a Code class elsewhere and both are GE certified, the one taken here won’t double-count.) Per Executive Order 1100, if a student takes both Code classes elsewhere and both are also certified as GE, we must accept both classes regardless of catalog.

Q: With double-counting and no Area B5 or F requirements, why don’t we move all students to the semester graduation requirements?

A: There are two reasons. One reason is that the semester graduation requirements includes two additional overlay requirements (Social Justice and Sustainability Overlays). The other reason is that students must have 48 semester units of GE (and Area F classes don’t count towards this under the semester catalog requirements). Regarding that, recall that a 4 quarter unit class is equivalent to 2.667 semester units. So, if a student took A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, (B3 may have no units) B4, C1, C2, C3, D1, D2, D3, and E under quarters, this is 34.667 semester units. Even after taking 3 upper division GE classes (9 units) under semesters, the student would be 4.333 units (2 classes) short. (As noted in 17-18 ASCSC 3, Cal State East Bay may allow a student who started under quarters to complete their GE requirements in 45 units, provided that they meet all of the area requirements.)

Q: How can a student receive grade forgiveness for a discontinued GE course?

A: A student who receives a C- or lower in a GE course that has no semester equivalent should petition the Director of General Education for grade forgiveness (provided the student is within the unit allowance for grade forgiveness) and will need to successfully complete another course in the corresponding area. See 17-18 CIC 13.

Q: If a student took a quarter course that did not have GE or other graduation requirement certification, but the equivalent does have GE or graduation requirement certification under semesters and the student uses the semester catalog, can the student count the course? (Example: ENGL 2000/ENGL 106.)

A: No. GE and graduation requirements are certified at the time the student took the class.

Q: If a student took a quarter course that has a different GE or other graduation requirement certification than it does under semesters, can the student count the course using the semester certification? Conversely, if a student took a course under semesters that had a different GE or other graduation requirement under quarters, can the student count the course using the quarter certification? (Example: MLL 2903/MLL 232.)

A: No. GE and graduation requirements are certified at the time the student took the class.

Q: A transfer student thinks that one of the classes taken at their transfer institution may satisfy an Overlay requirement. Who makes that determination?

A: The Articulation Office maintains a database of courses that articulate (i.e., are equivalent to) courses at CSUEB. If the transferred course articulates to an existing Overlay-certified course, then that Overlay requirement will be satisfied. If the course does not articulate to a specific CSUEB course but might satisfy a graduation requirement (such as one of the Overlays), then the academic advisor can submit a ticket in TES. The Articulation Office will send it to the appropriate individual(s), such as the GE Director. The determination will be documented in TES for future use. Usually, these articulations are recorded in PeopleSoft so that future transfers can use the same rule.

© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.