Top NavTop NavTop Nav


Departmental Prerequisites and Criteria for Admission

  • A completed baccalaureate degree from an accredited university. It is expected that most students applying for this program will have a B.S. in Hospitality, Recreation, Recreation Therapy or Tourism.
  • If your undergraduate degree is not in one of the HRT fields listed above, you may need some foundational courses. This will be determined when your transcript and work experience are evaluated by a Graduate Advisor, Graduate Coordinator or the Department Chair.
  • GPA of 2.75 in last 60 hours of course work is required.
  • Must have 2 years of work experience in one of the HRT fields (hospitality, recreation, recreation therapy or tourism).
  • Acceptable TOEFL minimum score of 550 (International Students) or above (237 on the Computer-Based TOEFL); an official transcript showing graduation with a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. college or university where English is the principal language of instruction; or an official letter from the college or university certifying that English is the language of instruction.

International students should contact an advisor prior to application, as there may be residency requirements for participation in this fully online program.

Master of Science in Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism

Application Procedure

The process of applying and being admitted to the M.S. in Recreation & Tourism program involves submitting an application to the department and an application to the university. In addition to the University Graduate and Post Baccalaureate Application to the university, all applicants should submit to the department:

  • A two to five page, single spaced personal statement explaining their reasons for pursuing the M.S. in Recreation & Tourism degree, professional goals, knowledge of the profession, and how previous study and experience will contribute to success in this graduate program.
  • An up-to-date resume detailing professional and academic achievements.
  • Three current letters of recommendation from those who know you best professionally. At least one should be from an immediate supervisor and another from someone who knows your academic abilities.

Admission to the University and admission to the M.S. in Recreation &Tourism degree are separate but simultaneous steps. We accept applications all year round. Students can enter in the Fall, Winter or Spring Quarter. The majority of students will enter in Fall.

Departmental application materials (personal statement, resume and letters of recommendation) should be submitted to the Department of Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism, 25800 Carlos Bee Blvd PE 130, Hayward, CA, 94542, email:, FAX 510-885-3984.

© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.